Republic Furnace age

AHI in AR

Need help with the age of a Republic L-125 furnace with a serial number of 5536.

Could this actually be the 36th week of 1955?

Also, I have never seen an air handler set up like this: Squirrel cage fan with two belt driven motors. Only one motor was actually connected to the fan pulley but both motors kicked on when the furnace called for circulation.

Click to Enlarge
tn_200932623402_DSCF0032.jpg

96.96 KB

There was a device in the air handler called a "Republic Gyroscopic Balance" that seemed to control the fan motors. The client was a young HVAC Tech who said he had never seen anything like that. Needless to say neither have I.

Click to Enlarge
tn_200932623437_DSCF0033.jpg

45.04 KB

I could get the furnace to fire but couldn't keep the fan running. This was enough to convince the client it was time to replace the furnace.

I googled Republic Furnace but couldn't find anything on them. Can anyone explain how this works, or more importantly why it was set up this way?

Thanks!

Jeff Beck

Foresight Inspection Service LLC

I've never seen a Republic furnace, but based on the style of it, I would not doubt that it was from the 1950's or very early 60's. What was the age of the home? As for why it was done that way...I'd guess the name says it all. It was an attempt to smooth out the fan vibrations.

Kinda cool, even if it didn't work anymore. Realistically, it's inefficient; put it out to pasture.

Graphics look like 50s to me.

Am I the only one who collects ads for housey things from old magazines?

WJ

Every time I try, someone recycles it while uttering disparaging remarks about "clutter."

I'll bet that several people have written about trends in graphic design and product design, period by period, from the 20th century. If anyone knows of such a book or paper, I'd love to have it as a reference.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Jim,

I have often gone back to Henry Petroski and David Pye writings. In particular, the second chapter of "The Evolution of Useful Things" seems to express my thoughts. I also like "The Hidden Persuaders", I think by Sinclair.

Only crazy folks think about industrial design.

Jim,

I have often gone back to Henry Petroski and David Pye writings. In particular, the second chapter of "The Evolution of Useful Things" seems to express my thoughts. I also like "The Hidden Persuaders", I think by Sinclair.

Only crazy folks think about industrial design.

Count me among them. Looky here: http://www.raymondloewy.com/

WJ

Here is another picture but no info.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kingclipon/474870533/

Need help with the age of a Republic L-125 furnace with a serial number of 5536.

Could this actually be the 36th week of 1955?

Also, I have never seen an air handler set up like this: Squirrel cage fan with two belt driven motors. Only one motor was actually connected to the fan pulley but both motors kicked on when the furnace called for circulation.

Click to Enlarge
tn_200932623402_DSCF0032.jpg

96.96 KB

There was a device in the air handler called a "Republic Gyroscopic Balance" that seemed to control the fan motors. The client was a young HVAC Tech who said he had never seen anything like that. Needless to say neither have I.

Click to Enlarge
tn_200932623437_DSCF0033.jpg

45.04 KB

I could get the furnace to fire but couldn't keep the fan running. This was enough to convince the client it was time to replace the furnace.

I googled Republic Furnace but couldn't find anything on them. Can anyone explain how this works, or more importantly why it was set up this way?

Thanks!

Jeff Beck

Foresight Inspection Service LLC