Is this High Density Poly-Ethylene?

Jeff Beck

Six foot section that runs from the water meter to a galvanized nipple for distribution. It's stamped with Orangeburo (Orangeburg?) SP 100 PSI.

Clamped at both ends with automotive clamps so it's very suspect.

I'm thinking that it's either HDPE or ABS. Aside from the wrong clamps is it allowed for inside distribution?

Click to Enlarge
tn_200932701641_DSCF0074.jpg

92.79 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_200932701743_DSCF0075.jpg

106.11 KB

Thanks,

Jeff Beck

Foresight Inspection Service LLC

Six foot section that runs from the water meter to a galvanized nipple for distribution. It's stamped with Orangeburo (Orangeburg?) SP 100 PSI.

Clamped at both ends with automotive clamps so it's very suspect.

I'm thinking that it's either HDPE or ABS. Aside from the wrong clamps is it allowed for inside distribution?

That's PE pipe. Around here, everyone calls it funny pipe, which is, I believe, a brand name. It's supposed to be used for wells & irrigation. Every old farmhouse in these parts seems to use some of it indoors here & there. Neither the UPC or the IRC allow it as distribution pipe. But I've gotta say that, after seeing hundreds of houses with this stuff under them, I've never seen it leak.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Funny Pipe is a trademark of Toro and that tubing is not tested/rated for potable water. HDPE is what's pictured and as Jim said, is permitted for supply, not distribution. It's probably manufactured in Orangeburg, NY or SC.

Anyone still see any old "Orangeburg" sewer lines?

I see it every so often.

Twice I've seen houses where the whole drain, waste & vent system was Orangeburg. Very strange and very delicate.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Anyone still see any old "Orangeburg" sewer lines?

I've seen a fair bit of it. It used to run from residential downspouts to the sewer system back in the day. (City put an end to that.) I worked a lot in ca. 1900-1930 "streetcar suburbs." As a general rule, the Orangeburg pipe had fallen apart, and was dumping water through the old limestone foundations we have around here.

WJ

Jim, When you've seen it how is it clamped?

As I recall, it was hub fittings with some kind of tar holding them together.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I think Jeff is referring to the supply line application in his photos. The clamping in the pictures is the correct way to connect the pipe to the fittings.

Jim, When you've seen it how is it clamped?

As I recall, it was hub fittings with some kind of tar holding them together.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I think Jeff is referring to the supply line application in his photos. The clamping in the pictures is the correct way to connect the pipe to the fittings.

Oh, oops. Yes, what Jeremy said. Hose clamps seem to work just fine.

- Jim Katen, Oregon