A Little Side Chat About Music

SonOfSwamp

A little side chat? Cool.

In that case, here's mine.

Click to Enlarge
tn_200942125839_GTBSLP.jpg

63.16 KB

97 florentine with a solid (no f holes) birdseye top in emberglow.

Custom shop said that this one was part of a limited run but, couldn't tell me how many were built like this. Possibly no more than a dozen but again, no confirmation.

A little side chat? Cool.

In that case, here's mine.

Click to Enlarge
tn_200942125839_GTBSLP.jpg

63.16 KB

97 florentine with a solid (no f holes) birdseye top in emberglow.

Custom shop said that this one was part of a limited run but, couldn't tell me how many were built like this. Possibly no more than a dozen but again, no confirmation.

Nice axe!

Hi,

Back in the early 70's I dinked around some with a bass. Bought it from a co-mechanic in a Toyota dealership I'd spent 3-4 months working at. #662 as I recall.

Had a Traynor Bass Master MkII tube amp with 4 100 watt speakers. I remember one night in the winter of '73; I was snowed in in my little cottage in Woodinville, CT and bored out of my skull so I sat there practicing variations of some lochrian scale riffs at danged near full volume. A neighbor from 1/4 mile away trudged through 2-ft. deep snow to knock on my door and holler at me to turn the damned thing down 'cuz I was vibrating his window and he could hear it over the TV in his house (I still blame my hearing loss on the Army though. [;)])

I later bought a Fender jazz bass so I wouldn't take a chance on ruining her. It was OK but just didn't have the mellowness of this old girl. Wish I had it today; sold 'em both when I was a $344 a month private in the Army and had to choose between keeping them or feeding my wife and new baby and paying the rent on the trailer.

Haven't picked up a guitar since somewhere around 1977. It's just as well, I pretty much mangled whatever I played.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Click to Enlarge
tn_20094214846_hoffner_front_back.jpg

27.45 KB

That's Walter all right, only now he's about 1/20th of a ton lighter and almost looking like a street fighting man.

He's one of the funkiest white fellas I've heard; he's got that whole Jimmy Nolen/Catfish Collins (Bootie's brother) tighter than tight funk riff goin'.

At any given moment, we could have extremely skilled players making excellent music; or, we could have the equivalent of burnt-out circus monkeys throwing pots, pans and other monkey stuff...

Eeyore

The only thing that really matters is that you're still out there doing it.

Here's a thirty year old that i just pulled out of the deep end of the closet.

Know what it is?

Click to Enlarge
tn_200943115755_1.jpg

34.99 KB

Of course, Clapton is a demigod. But if you want to hear the two best guitar players on earth (IMHO), pick up the Allman Bros. 2003 CD, "Hittin' the Note." Derek Trucks and Warren Haynes are, well, special...

I just had the pleasure of seeing a guy named Phil Keaggy. Never heard of him before my guitar playing son-in-law invited me to go see him. He played some church stuff but the secular music was literally astounding.

I'm out of my element commenting on music, but I'm pretty sure this guy is a world class guitarist.

At any given moment, we could have extremely skilled players making excellent music; or, we could have the equivalent of burnt-out circus monkeys throwing pots, pans and other monkey stuff...

Eeyore

The only thing that really matters is that you're still out there doing it.

Here's a thirty year old that i just pulled out of the deep end of the closet.

Know what it is?

Click to Enlarge
tn_200943115755_1.jpg

34.99 KB

Rickenbacker?

2nd guess - Gretsch?

Too late - must have posted just before I did. I've never heard of that brand of gutiar.

Of course, Clapton is a demigod. But if you want to hear the two best guitar players on earth (IMHO), pick up the Allman Bros. 2003 CD, "Hittin' the Note." Derek Trucks and Warren Haynes are, well, special...

I just had the pleasure of seeing a guy named Phil Keaggy. Never heard of him before my guitar playing son-in-law invited me to go see him. He played some church stuff but the secular music was literally astounding.

I'm out of my element commenting on music, but I'm pretty sure this guy is a world class guitarist.

That name is familiar.

There's a kid form Utica that I met a couple of times when he played here by the name of Joe Bonamassa. Gibson thought enough of him to build a signature LP and Guitar player said, he's one of the best of all time. Check him out on Utube or better yet, go see him if you get the chance. And then there's this guy [utube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFqTd-CEjHM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="344">

This was fun. Got to mill a bunch of walnut for for my kitchen cabinets.

I'll never get this place done.

Sorry to Hijack this thread but my son is in the market for a used Fender Bass. He prefers the Jazz bass but will also consider a P Bass. Anyone have anything like this in their attic or basement that they are looking to sell?

Walter-I would like to hear some of your music. Anything that I can hear on the web?

Of course you know, any decent attic/closet/basement find on a P or J bass will cost you somewhere between $2K - $20K+, right?

I say find an ace luthier to build one to your specs. Fender does not love you. Your luthier will...

Or, try Warmouth.

WJ

Aw crap!

I knew we should have eaten rice for a few months. I'm going outside now to play in traffic.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

That name is familiar.

There's a kid form Utica that I met a couple of times when he played here by the name of Joe Bonamassa. Gibson thought enough of him to build a signature LP and Guitar player said, he's one of the best of all time. Check him out on Utube or better yet, go see him if you get the chance.

This was fun. Got to mill a bunch of walnut for for my kitchen cabinets.

I'll never get this place done.

Joe Bonamassa is on eMusic.com. Great contemporary blues/rock. For a quickie, check out his Shepherds Bush album. I downloaded some of his stuff a couple months ago. If you've never heard of eMusic, and you like music -- especially varied genres -- I'd recommend looking into it. It's great for people who wanna check out new, less publicized artists. Just don't expect to find top-40 tunes on it.

For the record, I am not employed by eMusic or ANY music-related company. Let's just say that I'm semi-schizophrenic in my tastes and I like varied forms of music.

• 3 months later...