I'm thinking about listing some links to refer clients to if they ask me how to find a good contractor. I guess they links could be .orgs or .coms. I just want reputable sources mainly. Can you list some good ones for the following categories? I will search myself too but I want some opinions on which sources are legitimate and worth directing people to.

Carpenters

Roofers

Structural P.E.

HVAC

Plumbers

Electricians

General Contractors

Landscapers

Chimney

and, whatever else I am missing....

I'm thinking about listing some links to refer clients to if they ask me how to find a good contractor. I guess they links could be .orgs or .coms. I just want reputable sources mainly. Can you list some good ones for the following categories? I will search myself too but I want some opinions on which sources are legitimate and worth directing people to.

If you're talking about those online referral sites, they're worthless when it comes to sifting out "good" contractors. Don't send your customers there.

If you must send them to the internet, try Angie's List.

Better yet, collect the names & numbers of good, reliable contractors who do excellent work and just give your customers those names.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I do not recommend contractors.

I explain that it is illegal for me to perform repairs and that I don't want even the appearance that I have anything to gain by recommending my brother-in-law, etc. They begin nodding their head halfway through my explanation. Angie's list seems to be a good source. I looked up a couple of inspector's I know and they seemed to peg my exact thoughts for both of them. Most folk's participating in posting their experiences with contractors seem to be the penny pinching, anal types but still give valid information.