Hot nailing shingles

Chris Bernhardt

Anyone every heard of hot nailing asphalt shingles?

I called out exposed roofing nails on some ridge end shingles on a newly constructed residence, and the builder shot back that he doesn't have to seal over the nails because they are hot nailed.

I googled hot nailing shingles and didn't find anything. Sounds like BS to me.

Chris, Oregon

Anyone every heard of hot nailing asphalt shingles?

I called out exposed roofing nails on some ridge end shingles on a newly constructed residence, and the builder shot back that he doesn't have to seal over the nails because they are hot nailed.

I googled hot nailing shingles and didn't find anything. Sounds like BS to me.

Never heard the term. Perhaps he meant that they were hot-dipped galvanized nails and would be less likely to corrode over time?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Never heard the term. Perhaps he meant that they were hot-dipped galvanized nails and would be less likely to corrode over time?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

He claims that the nails are hot and self seal against the roofing. I say it's BS.

Chris, Oregon

Tell him that you researched and you can not find anything about "Hot nailing". Ask him to provide you with documentation from the shingle manufacturer saying that "Hot nailing" is OK and does not need sealing.

I bet he can't find anything..

- Jim Katen, Oregon

He claims that the nails are hot and self seal against the roofing. I say it's BS.

Chris, Oregon

Don't the ceramic granules get in the way?

- Jim Katen, Oregon