Pouring concrete against siding

Chris Bernhardt

I called out a patio poured against hardy plank siding on new construction, and builder says that he's been thru this before with other inspectors and has an OK from someone that it's OK to do.

Are there any exceptions to pouring concrete against siding? Even if you use some sort of isolation barrier?

If he's been through it before, he ought to have the documentation at his fingertips. Ask him to send it along.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Hi,

I've talked directly to the tech folks at James Hardie about this. They are very clear - it can't be closer than two inches to steps, patios or anyplace where water will pond and you can't pour concrete against it.

I've had builders claim that the vinyl "capillary break" behind the concrete will protect the siding. Well, it will protect the siding from moisture wicking through the concrete but it won't prevent water draining down the wall and in between the vinyl break and the concrete siding.

I agree; he should produce the documentation - otherwise it's just another bogus myth/excuse he's using.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

. . . I've had builders claim that the vinyl "capillary break" behind the concrete will protect the siding. Well, it will protect the siding from moisture wicking through the concrete but it won't prevent water draining down the wall and in between the vinyl break and the concrete siding.

And down here, it creates a concealed path for termites to enter the building.

- Jim Katen, Oregon