PEX piping installation

Ponyboy

The first picture of the PEX piping is during the original inspection.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009415204624_piping%201.jpg

30.96 KB

The second picture is after the handyman added pipe supports.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009415204831_Plumbing%202.jpg

27.97 KB

Sure some pipe supports were added about every 36 inches, but I still think it is a crappy plumbing job. In my opinion, this piping should has been secured to the floor framing but a local, licensed plumber said it is fine.

I still think it is a crappy job!

Brad

Maximum horizontal spacing on PEX support/hangers is 32" (table 308.5 IPC and manufacturer) specifications. Also 308.3 IPC states that "hangers, anchors and supports shall support the piping. " Kind of a "duh" but it looks like the pex has strap tape loosely wrapped around it. If i pushed down on the pex and it had give I would say it is not supported.

Hi,

Those look like a new kind of plastic pipe hanger that I've been seeing that's supposed to be adequate for pex, CPVC, PB or any other type of plastic pipe. Look at the photograph in Darren's post above. They are basically a plastic strap with a slit in one end. you loop the hanger under the pipe, insert the long end in the slit, cinch the hanger up tight and then nail the free end to the joist above.

I agree with Brad; that's a sloppy, jackleg looking mess that should have been disassembled and then reassembled properly up on the framing where it belongs.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Hi,

Those look like a new kind of plastic pipe hanger that I've been seeing that's supposed to be adequate for pex, CPVC, PB or any other type of plastic pipe. Look at the photograph in Darren's post above. They are basically a plastic strap with a slit in one end. you loop the hanger under the pipe, insert the long end in the slit, cinch the hanger up tight and then nail the free end to the joist above.

I agree with Brad; that's a sloppy, jackleg looking mess that should have been disassembled and then reassembled properly up on the framing where it belongs.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

The supports are plastic plumbers tape wrapped around the pipes. All of the repairs being performed at this house are by a handyman contractor. The seller and contractor keep calling wanting me to specify exactly how I want the defects fixed so it will pass inspection. The seller does not want to bring out contractors for each trade. I hate reinspections like these.

The supports are plastic plumbers tape wrapped around the pipes. All of the repairs being performed at this house are by a handyman contractor. The seller and contractor keep calling wanting me to specify exactly how I want the defects fixed so it will pass inspection. The seller does not want to bring out contractors for each trade. I hate reinspections like these.

Tell them that spec-writing work from your firm costs $XXX per hour.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Is this taking place in an area with city inspectors? If these are repairs that are ongoing a permit should be pulled if strict code is followed (and depending on which code is adopted.) It would certainly take the problem out of your hands...or give you a hammer to make them do it your way. (IPC 106.1)