Service Mast Flashing

GRFJohn

Just wondering if yall had seen the new service mast flashing at ABC Supply. It is an EPDM split flashing with a wider base that is perfect for a shingled roof. It is easy to use and the stainless steel clips crimp the seal tight using only pliers. I tried to put a picture of one on here but for some reason it won't let me. Take a look at this link though, there is a picture of one at roofing.com, awesome new product! Sure beats any other retro flashing on the market.

http://www.roofing.com/gallery/displayi ... at=0&pos=2

Ok, so you got me, I am a salesman for Golden Rule Fasteners. This really is an awesome product though, and it is not difficult to use. There is no lining up plates, screws, or any special tools needed. You simply cut it to size, wrap it around the pipe, and crimp the stainless clips with pliers to seal it. If any of you have an idea of something that we could do different I am all ears. At Golden Rule we are always looking for ways to help our customers. So please, don't knock the new product until you try it. We spent a lot of time and research developing what we believe is the best product on the market. So stop in your local ABC Supply and pick up just one and give it a try. I am sure that you will be satisfied. Or give us a call at 334-283-4030 and we will direct you to your nearest supplier. Thanks, John <>

Ok, so you got me, I am a salesman for Golden Rule Fasteners. This really is an awesome product though, and it is not difficult to use. There is no lining up plates, screws, or any special tools needed. You simply cut it to size, wrap it around the pipe, and crimp the stainless clips with pliers to seal it. If any of you have an idea of something that we could do different I am all ears. At Golden Rule we are always looking for ways to help our customers. So please, don't knock the new product until you try it. We spent a lot of time and research developing what we believe is the best product on the market. So stop in your local ABC Supply and pick up just one and give it a try. I am sure that you will be satisfied. Or give us a call at 334-283-4030 and we will direct you to your nearest supplier. Thanks, John <><

Fair enough.

I run into the Tar-O-Maticâ„¢ too often. Lately, I've been recommending Oatey's retro kit but I'll be happy to mention yours as well. There are two ABC Supply stores up here. What model or name should I call it?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Thanks for giving it a try. You can go to any ABC and tell them that you want their new residential retrofit flashing. Their item number is 14MIGRZRRK [:-thumbu]

Oh, come on. You've got to have a jazzy name, not 14MIGRZRRK. No one's gonna remember that.

How about:

The RetroFlash 2000

The Zippy Boot

or, hey, I've got it:

The Zip Master 2000

- Jim Katen, Oregon

• 3 weeks later...

Well,

John did mail me one of the retro pipe flashing gizmo's. I'm excited to use it on my next roof job. The last time I worked around a mast, I doubled up 2 pipe jacks with one cut at the top half, and one cut at the bottom-- this is much better than doing something like that.

This one looks like it should work well. There is a slight raised seam along the bottom where the 2 ends of the flashing pull together. I'd prefer to see it sit a little higher at this raised seam. I am concerned that water may be able to seep in during snow/ ice accumulation on the roof, but could be wrong. I'll have to actually try it out to see how tight I can pull the 2 ends together. This should not be a big problem-- I'll just throw some ice/ water shield in beneath it as an added precaution.

Here is a list of some retro- fit flashing options.

There's this one: http://spinflashing.com/retrofit-spinflashing-kit.html It looks like a good design that will last, but is around $80.00-- seems kinda steep.

This one: http://shop.incomsupply.com/shop/produc ... sku=449303

This one: http://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=8946 (good price)

There are a few others as well.

Here is a link to Springseal pipe flashing I was sent: http://www.sansoar.com/resiretro.htm

I have not found a price for it yet.

John,

What's the price for one of these?

• 2 months later...

My apologies for the delay in reply. I have been on the road a good bit the past month. I am not sure what ABC Supply is currently selling them for. I couldn't tell you their cost though. There are a lot of stores carrying this product now and you may be able to find it at your supplier if you are using someone other than ABC. Hope that this was helpful.