Door landing clarification

Here's the scenario: French door going from an bedroom to a walk deck. The door threshold is about 14" higher than the bedroom floor. The door swings into the bedroom. To accomodate for the 14" drop into the bedroom, the builder installed a 11" step, the full width of the door opening.

My concern is that when you walk into the room, from the deck, there is not a 36" deep platform, as per 2003 IRC 311.4.3 Landings at doors:

The width of each landing shall not be less than the door served. Every landing shall have a minimum dimension of 36 inches (914 mm) measured in the direction of travel.

I'm not sure if this code reference applies, although it seems to me that it would. I do know that when I walked in from the deck, I nearly busted my a$$!

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Shuman 7 15 04 015.jpg

140.9 KB

Is a landing required? Since I work in Chicago, which has its OWN codes, I honestly don't know squat about IRC land.

If this is considered a landing, it has to be 36". Why couldn't there be a step? Any way you cut it, it's dangerous & a hazard, but is a landing required by IRC in this situation?

Originally posted by kurt

Is a landing required? Since I work in Chicago, which has its OWN codes, I honestly don't know squat about IRC land.

If this is considered a landing, it has to be 36". Why couldn't there be a step? Any way you cut it, it's dangerous & a hazard, but is a landing required by IRC in this situation?

I can find no exceptions to allow this condition without a landing in the IRC. A landing is required anytime a door opens over a step.

Steve

Kurt,

The code I quoted seems to apply. In reality, a 36" landing inside a bedroom is pretty stupid, but so is the shortsightedness of the guy who designed a 6000 sq ft $2M house, and didn't figure for dealing with a 14" drop from a deck into a bedroom. The best fix would be to drop the threshold, but then there would be an issue with water backing into the house.

I'm coming from a CYA position, when the buyer breaks his neck, and looks for a patsie!

Originally posted by chrisprickett

The code I quoted seems to apply. In reality, a 36" landing inside a bedroom is pretty stupid, but so is the shortsightedness of the guy who designed a 6000 sq ft $2M house, and didn't figure for dealing with a 14" drop from a deck into a bedroom.

I agree on both counts.

I'm coming from a CYA position, when the buyer breaks his neck, and looks for a patsie!

Prudent, no doubt.

Brian G.

Originally posted by chrisprickett

Kurt,

The code I quoted seems to apply. In reality, a 36" landing inside a bedroom is pretty stupid, but so is the shortsightedness of the guy who designed a 6000 sq ft $2M house, and didn't figure for dealing with a 14" drop from a deck into a bedroom. The best fix would be to drop the threshold, but then there would be an issue with water backing into the house.

Why not install a doorset that swings outward?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...