The picture says it all.

Mark P

I've seen a few roughly similar roofs around here, but there are differences. The pattern isn't at all organized, and the homes are in areas that we could politely agree to call "underprivileged."

So really, I suspect that it's a case of what "supply house" the home owner found that gave a "discount" on materials.

. . . So really, I suspect that it's a case of what "supply house" the home owner found that gave a "discount" on materials.

Or which jobsites the owner found that didn't lock up their materials at night.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

That's what I was trying to say...in a more PC way. Think of "supply house" in the broadest terms.

. . . So really, I suspect that it's a case of what "supply house" the home owner found that gave a "discount" on materials.

Or which jobsites the owner found that didn't lock up their materials at night.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

That's what I was trying to say...in a more PC way. Think of "supply house" in the broadest terms.

Somehow I just don't see that as the work of someone who would sneak around stealing materials. Too neat, not just the roof, but the house as well. I'd guess it was a deliberate choice, maybe drug induced, but deliberate. It's certainly not my taste, but it does look well executed.

No need to steal. They throw away enough material to build a house at the end of a lot of projects.

I rocked my house with a stack of 1/2 inch destined for the dumpster at the end of one school job. The thirteen leftover sheets of 5/8 that I didn't take, got broken up and tossed. Boxes of tile, mastic, grout, paint, you name it. Guess it's less expensive to chuck it than to donate. Oh well, It's paid for right?

That is definately intentional and I give them an A+ for holding that pattern, but they get an F for execution. "Booking" shingles like that violates every manufactuters installation instructions that I can think of.

Tom

Tom,

What does "Booking" mean?

I'm refering to the way they offset the shingles. First course is a full tab, next course is a half tab, next is full, and so on, the butt ends of alternating courses align and are very close to the butt ends of the courses between them. This is the way roofers get a job done quickly, and it is contrary to every shingle manufacturer's installation instructions that I'm aware of.

"Booking" is what we called it when I was a roofer, probably 16 - 18 years ago now.

Tom

I'm refering to the way they offset the shingles. First course is a full tab, next course is a half tab, next is full, and so on, the butt ends of alternating courses align and are very close to the butt ends of the courses between them. This is the way roofers get a job done quickly, and it is contrary to every shingle manufacturer's installation instructions that I'm aware of.

"Booking" is what we called it when I was a roofer, probably 16 - 18 years ago now.

Tom

If you're referring to the vertical racking method, Certainteed allows it on many of their shingle products and includes instructions for it as an acceptable method in their Shingle Applicator's Manual.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Certainteed Master Shingle Applicator Wizard