Nest building instructions?

Every year for the last 8 or 9 years we have had robins build a nest in our climbing rose bush at the front porch trellis. Kind of cool watching the eggs hatch and the babies get fed.

Usually the nests are very neat, well constructed, and the robins rarely drop any material as they weave it. This year, we seem to have a defective bird or bird couple. Over the last 4 or 5 days they bring the straw, etc on a regular basis but seem to have no idea at all for what to do with it once they get to the building site. At least half is just being dropped on the front steps and the "nest" is just a dangling mess with no support at all.

Click to Enlarge
tn_200941921736_090419L090.jpg

71.96 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20094192180_090419L092.jpg

62.21 KB

Trust me, the "nest" looks better in the photo than it really is. It's like the poor bird is missing one of its instincts.

Frankly, as a home inspector, it's a little embarassing to have this robin working on my home. Anyone got a good "how-to" diagram of a nest I can pin up nearby?

Richard,

Considering the slow market, I would say that the birds have been watching too much Jerry Springer through your window, and it has caused inbreeding as well as erratic behavior.

Are they throwing food at each other too?[:D]

Hopefully as business picks up the birds will pick up also, their nest that is.

Could be lack of sunlight stress also. I know i'd have a tough time building houses in the rain every day too.

[utube]

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="344">

It's feeding time in the nest outside my kitchen window. Until I watched the video, I never realized that this was a two way thing. At 0:34, see dad get, ugh, 'fed'. Mom gets her turn too.

If you double click the start button, it will open in a slightly larger window on the Youtube page. You can then select the High Quality version.

I know you have all been worrying about the plight of my dysfunctional robin...so I have good news. It seems that he/she/they finally learnt on the job. Despite wasting a whole bunch of material, much of which is just hanging uselessly or on my steps, there's now a perfectly formed and woven nest supported above the branch. Tough to get a really good photo, but here's the finished home, ready for a family.

Click to Enlarge
tn_200942317047_robinsnestupdate.jpg

128.66 KB

You can now all go back to whatever you should be doing.

The nest appears to be poorly constructed. However, it seems to be functionally consistent with its intended purpose and is in average repair for age and exposure. I would recommend you have a structural engineer and arborist specify and supervise repairs prior to close.

Note: please re-read my disclaimer boilerplate on page one, para 2 and my limits of liability in para 4.

Isn't springtime great, my favorite season. Everything is new again, a time of rebirth. Fall, on the other hand, just bums me right out.

Not too far from our home, in the Cuyahoga Valley Nation Park, we have a nesting pair of Bald Eagles. The Park Rangers don't want you back there but I had to go back to take pictures. I was in awe as I made my way around one corner and saw one perched on a dead tree stump. What a magnificent sight. The pictures didn't come out that good though - I snapped a few quick shots (didn't focus well) and left. Didn't want to get busted and didn't want to piss the Eagle off either. I never thought I'd see the day that there were Eagles in Ohio.

• 1 month later...

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009423175918_hawks.jpg

99.55 KB

I have a pair of coopers hawks in one of my back yard maples.

Click to Enlarge
tn_200961791931_(Medium).jpg

85.11 KB

If you pull this pic and enlarge it , you'll see that the white ball of fuzz in the middle is a baby hawk. Despite all of the squirrel and crow attacks, it looks like they're going to make it.

Speaking of birds, I was driving out of my subdivision the other day when I saw what I thought was a weird looking goose. As I got closer, I saw that it was a wild turkey, just meandering down the sidewalk. Now this may be fairly common for a lot of you guys, but I live about 20 miles straight west of Chicago (Bartlett). This was a first for me.

Click to Enlarge
tn_200961820155_IMG00037.jpg

49.93 KB

That's a turkey. Noble bird. They're all over.

Benjamin Franklin thought the turkey should be our national bird.

He also wanted our national language to be German; at least that's what they taught me when I went to DLI to learn German.

I've often wondered what the world would be like today if German had become our official language.

OT - OF!!!

M.

That's a turkey. Noble bird. They're all over.

Benjamin Franklin thought the turkey should be our national bird.

He also wanted our national language to be German; at least that's what they taught me when I went to DLI to learn German.

I've often wondered what the world would be like today if German had become our official language.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Just think how Southern Redneck German would sound.

In Evanston, they're found mostly in half-pint bottles.

That's about right.......

I think there's population blooms of lots of animals due to crows being eliminated by West Nile virus. Rabbits, squirrles, turkeys, more birds, all due to crows (predators) being scrubbed.