Disposal wiring

sepefrio

I've been through my books for something that actually talks about wires passing through walls. The only thing I can find that relates to it is the distance from a framing member, the angle of the bend and protection from physical damage (E3702.3). But nothing more specific. It just seems to be left open to personal judgment concerning physical damage. I say it will get damaged, he says it won't.

In the picture below, before I was even done taking the picture, the listing agent was saying "Grandfathered", "it's fine, it's been like that for 40 years". The fact that he was so quick to point this out made me think this home had been inspected before and the previous inspector had said something about it.

Also, you can see the protective casing was removed just before it goes into the wall. Would it be safe to assume the rest of the line inside the wall it also unprotected as well?

This is for the disposal.

How would you write it up?

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009419224643_dis1.jpg

25.08 KB

If there is anything else in the house that requires an electrician, just add the disposal wiring to the list. If the electrician is going to be there anyway, let them make the call. When I have a questionable item, I sometimes do it that way.

There seems to be on going debate about disposal wiring. Jurisdictions matter too. As for the "grandfather" claim, I disregard that regularly.

If something can be better, especially with regard to safety, I don't care what the rule used to be. I care about the current understanding of threats.

I think the approach you may want to take is that the exposed wire can get knicked/damaged when left exposed like that. People are constantly going into the under sink cabinet for one thing or another. It is possible that wire could be damaged creating a shock hazard. And yes, I don't imagine the wiring is installed in any special "casing" in between the walls. They normally are not when enclosed in the wall cavities. Supported, yes.

I've been through my books for something that actually talks about wires passing through walls. The only thing I can find that relates to it is the distance from a framing member, the angle of the bend and protection from physical damage (E3702.3). But nothing more specific. It just seems to be left open to personal judgment concerning physical damage. I say it will get damaged, he says it won't.

In the picture below, before I was even done taking the picture, the listing agent was saying "Grandfathered", "it's fine, it's been like that for 40 years". The fact that he was so quick to point this out made me think this home had been inspected before and the previous inspector had said something about it.

Also, you can see the protective casing was removed just before it goes into the wall. Would it be safe to assume the rest of the line inside the wall it also unprotected as well?

This is for the disposal.

How would you write it up?

It depends on what's really going on. I just can't tell from that picture and your description. The forum software limits its size when you post a Visible Picture.

Your description is confusing. You say "wires" but the picture kind of looks like cable. Was it really wires or was it a cable? There are completely different rules for each.

Also, it doesn't look like a protective casing, it looks like flexible metal conduit and I don't think it was removed, I think it's just short. On the other hand, maybe it's MC cable with the outer covering trimmed short and the wires running into the wall.

Do you have a better picture and a better description?

- Jim Katen, Oregon