Alarm Thingy?

Garet

Any idea what this is? There were about 4-5 of them beside exit doors as well as bedroom doors in a 1952 house. The lever with the red label reads "rewind". Pulling the lever with the chain (...which hung nearly to the floor) rang the bell (sounded like an old-time school bell). I couldn't find any other markings.

BTW, where's the forum labeled "Identify This Old Weird Thing I Found Today"?

Garet

Click to Enlarge
tn_20094210371_IMGP0990small.jpg

22.67 KB

There is a pin under that rose thingy in the center of the bell. The softer metal deforms at high temperatures and allows the pin to move activating the bell spring. They also fail from age and the bells are very loud, ask me how I know. I'm pretty sure thats why the house I grew up in had (almost all) the pins held in with pennies. It would have been cheaper to just let them all unwind[:-dev3]

Tom

I've seen those many times in older homes. It's my understanding they are fire alarms. You wind them up and then they somehow sense the heat from a fire and wake everyone up.

Old tech; I love it.

Yeah, but by the time they sense the fire, you're already a crispy critter.

They're interesting artifacts but nearly worthless compared to the marvel of a modern smoke alarm.

BTW, no one's sent in a picture of an old style carbon tet fire grenade lately.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I've seen those many times in older homes. It's my understanding they are fire alarms. You wind them up and then they somehow sense the heat from a fire and wake everyone up.

Old tech; I love it.

Yeah, but by the time they sense the fire, you're already a crispy critter.

They're interesting artifacts but nearly worthless compared to the marvel of a modern smoke alarm.

BTW, no one's sent in a picture of an old style carbon tet fire grenade lately.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Have you ever seen these old fire alarm whistles?

Click to Enlarge
tn_200942123371_misc%20158.jpg

99.42 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009421233849_misc%20159.jpg

25.03 KB