Hate to see their conventional WH model.

I saw this while drinking my morning coffee, and just about did a spit take.

This is a picture in a nationally syndicated column by James Dulley. It was in our local paper CU News Gazette. The column is not on their website so I scanned the photo. (It's not the best paper in the world) Nor could I navigate my way around Dully's website,(too busy, it hurts my eyes), to find the article named "Picking the right water heater."

Click to Enlarge
tn_200942512218_waterheater.jpg

147.81 KB

Proper method....

Frank

This would be my response to Mr. Dulley.

HI! Jim,

I really enjoyed your article on "Picking the right water heater".

I can't read the WH data plate from your photo but your water heater sure looks like a conventional model.......then, I might be wrong.

I have some concerns about your picture.

I usually find the gas line unions installed horizontally, pipe fitters tell me it makes it easier to work with wrenches. I don't see a discharge tube at the TPR valve to direct steam and hot water to a safe location away from occupants.

Insulating the hot water supply line is a great idea that will prevent heat loss and conserve energy, but remember Jimmy, combustible distances must be observed - the foam will melt that close to the C' vent. The expansion tank is an interesting concept but anyhow it should be supported and NOT with the water lines!

And while we're working on the feed line, would you rotate the isolation valve horizontally, to make it easier to operate, better yet how about using a quarter turn ball valve. Now that would be high-efficiency!

One last thing Jim, would you make sure the vent connector, that's the vertical silver pipe sticking straight up from the middle of the appliance, is properly fastened with three screws EVENLY distributed around the circle. Alright one more last thing, would you make sure the pipe is 28 gauge, you can determine this by squeezing it, kind of like the Charmin commercial. I usually like to do that when the appliances has been running for a while.

Jim, it might be a good idea to do a little research on the topic you are writing about especially when it comes to something you know nothing about.

If you want to learn a lot of something about alot of everything

Check this place out

https://inspectorsjournal.com/

YourCalgaryHomeInspector.com

This would be my response to Mr. Dulley.

Jim, it might be a good idea to do a little research on the topic you are writing about especially when it comes to something you know nothing about.

Au contraire, Rob. Mr. Dulley knows how appliances work. He says so himself. This is listed as Hands on technical training in the education section of his bio page:

Does Jim really know appliances? When I write about various appliances, particularly major kitchen and laundry ones, I do know how they work. I recently attended a class, called "Boot Camp", conducted by Sears HomeCentral technical training staff. Sears HomeCentral repairs nearly every manufacturers' appliances made. I also received about 20 of the Sears HomeCentral home study guides that their actual professional repair technicians use. The photos at the right were taken during the Boot Camp training at the HomeCentral technical center outside Chicago.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009425231448_sears11.jpg

10.71 KB

Boot camp! [:-banghea