Landing Required?

Brandon Whitmore

Under the '06 IRC, a landing would be required at this location, but I am not so sure under the 2003 Oregon Residential code:

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009429192424_NOLANDING.jpg

55.38 KB

The home was built in 2007 (one year warranty inspection in progress), and so I am trying to determine whether the lack of a landing is in violation of Oregon's Residential Specialty Code.

Here is a link to the code: http://www2.iccsafe.org/states/oregon/R ... ameset.htm

I am trying to understand what R311.4.3 is saying. Maybe I just need to take a break and re- read it, and it will be clear later. If any of you wouldn't mind giving me your opinion, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Under the '06 IRC, a landing would be required at this location, but I am not so sure under the 2003 Oregon Residential code:

The home was built in 2007 (one year warranty inspection in progress), and so I am trying to determine whether the lack of a landing is in violation of Oregon's Residential Specialty Code.

Here is a link to the code: http://www2.iccsafe.org/states/oregon/R ... ameset.htm

I am trying to understand what R311.4.3 is saying. Maybe I just need to take a break and re- read it, and it will be clear later. If any of you wouldn't mind giving me your opinion, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

It doesn't need a landing. Neither the present code nor the previous edition require it.

How can a home built in 2007 be undergoing a 12 month warranty inspection in 2009?

The older code only required a landing on the outside of the "required exit door." This is the back door and, presumably, the front door of this house is the required exit door.

The newer code requires a landing on the outside of the door, but makes an exception if the stairway has 3 or fewer rises. (The exception doesn't apply to the "required exit door.")

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Thanks Jim, Jim, and Jim[:-slaphap

I need to quit reading/ studying the 2006 IRC, it's screwing me up and causing me try to make up building codes in Oregon.

I still think that someone needs to write a code book in a way that it can't be misinterpreted/ misunderstood.

How can a home built in 2007 be undergoing a 12 month warranty inspection in 2009?

I would assume that the home sat empty for a while, due to the killer economy and all. Also, it could have been finished in say December of '07, and sold in May of '08 (only would have sat for 5 months).

Thanks again.

I would assume that the home sat empty for a while, due to the killer economy and all. Also, it could have been finished in say December of '07, and sold in May of '08 (only would have sat for 5 months).

I'm still not used to the idea of a new house sitting empty. It's hard to teach an old dog new paradigms.

- Jim Katen, Oregon