Pump question

Robert Jones

If you are looking at a well tank then the house has a well or has a booster system added to increase flow for rain style shower heads or large tubs. Typically a booster system uses what is called a jet pump, ( google it) It sits next to the well tank. Typically a well pump will be at the bottom of the well and cannot be seen without hauling up 100 or so feet of platic pipe.

So which is it.?

I'm not liking these new pre-sized pictures (read small) I can't zoom in and see things up close. I've got a 19" monitor here and I'm looking at a tiny picture that only covers less then 1/4 of it.

What I do see in your image is the pipe coming into the tank and an electric cable coming into the pressure switch but no water pipe continuing past the tank and no visible power cable coming out of the switch to go to the pump. Makes me think it is an unfinished installation. Looks like a plug in the end of the pipe just to the left of the pressure switch, where the pipe normally continues to distribution. Maybe a well for landscape water? There is a sediment filter on the piping to the right, usually indicates a well...

I'm not liking these new pre-sized pictures (read small) I can't zoom in and see things up close. I've got a 19" monitor here and I'm looking at a tiny picture that only covers less then 1/4 of it.

When the photo displays in a window look at the lower corner of the window and then choose zoom size and then click at the upper corner to go full screen. I can get that photo too completely fill my 21-inch monitor screen in about two clicks.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I see a pressure tank with a pressure control swich with wiring leading around to the right, problably to a pump somewhere.

If this house is on city water, they may simply be getting low pressure from the main. In order to increase the pressure, they might have installed a booster pump and a tank to store the pressure. If you follow the wires from the pressure control switch, you'll find the pump.

We have very low pressure at my house. We have a water co-op out here and my house is high up on a hill, not very far below the reservoir. We average 20 - 25 psi most days. That means showers are a slow leisurely affair. The water stream that comes out of my kitchen faucet is rarely more than the diameter of a pencil.

Shortly after we moved in, I decided to install a pump & pressure tank like the one in Rob's picture. It's been 19 years now and I'm almost ready to get around to it.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

When the photo displays in a window look at the lower corner of the window and then choose zoom size and then click at the upper corner to go full screen. I can get that photo too completely fill my 21-inch monitor screen in about two clicks.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Hey Mike.

I don't see anything in the photo's/window that I can click on. I'm on a Mac using Firefox... could that be why?

If this house is on city water, they may simply be getting low pressure from the main. In order to increase the pressure, they might have installed a booster pump and a tank to store the pressure. If you follow the wires from the pressure control switch, you'll find the pump.

I suppose the pump could be remotely located but in every booster system I've laid eyes on the pump was mounted right there at the tank. And Jet pumps aren't known for being quiet either.

It's been 19 years now and I'm almost ready to get around to it.

Yah, I've got several projects like that. Ok, maybe it's several dozen, but I'm gettin to em.