moisture meter tips

Tools are only as good as the user. I got a good tool, the Protimeter SM.

So what are the common mistakes that can be made when using this tool? What are its weak points and where does it shine? What can it do? What can't it do?

I'm just out for general knowledge of reasonable expectations and proper usage.

The aquant/sm is good for the first 1/4" or so of a material. If you want to detect roof leaks dripping on the back side surface of ceiling drywall, you'll need a tramex moisture encounter plus.

I use four different moisture meters in practice, perhaps more if I find another one with some set of exclusive characteristics.

Chris, Oregon

It has been my experience that the SM has a fairly limited detection depth. I would say about 1 inch and maybe a little less in the scan or non-pin mode. It will not detect moisture in a wall cavity unless that drywall has already started to get wet. The Tramex moisture encounter is better at doing this.

As others have said you need to be on the lookout for "False" positive readings. Anything with a metallic backing or ingredient will screw with the meter and provide a false reading. Corner beads on drywall and window flanges will do it all the time.

While doing some EIFS inspections, I discovered some homes in the Bowling Green KY area that the builder used a Mylar type product as a wind barrier in the walls. It made it impossible to get good readings due to the Mylar product. It also created some other interesting problems...[;)]

Salts, and lime will cause it to give false probe readings due to conductance (urine mentioned above). If you have a new model it is much better than the older models at differentiating surface verses underlying moisture. Like was mentioned before Tramex makes several models that can measure as deep as six inches.

Thanks for all the tips.

What are the most common areas of the home where the SM will be successful in detecting elevated moisture levels?

Behind tub and shower surrounds, floors around toilets, window casings, walls beneath windows, floors in kitchens, laundries and bathrooms, floors in front of entrances.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Thanks for all the tips.

What are the most common areas of the home where the SM will be successful in detecting elevated moisture levels?

Behind tub and shower surrounds, floors around toilets, window casings, walls beneath windows, floors in kitchens, laundries and bathrooms, floors in front of entrances.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Good list! Just about every single french door that I find has some type of leakage. When I see a french door it is a red flag and the moisture meter comes out.

My single recommendation is to carry it with you at all times, and use it on anything and everything.

It's amazing how some stuff can be wet without a single visual trace of problems.

Yeah, I thought of doing that. Its not heavy or bulky. It will hardly be noticed in the cargo pants leg pocket.

• 2 months later...

Tools are only as good as the user.

Isn't that true.

There are alot of folks who think they can just buy the tool and become an instant expert. Reality is there are alot of variables with moisture meters and the materials/circumstances you "encounter". (no pun intended....well maybe)

I can say I have seen and talked with way too many sellers, contractors, agents, and other inspectors about the bathroom floors that showed no visible evidence of leakage, yet were deemed defective by someone with a moisture meter. Most dissapointing (to the individual paying the bill), is when these floors are "filleted" open to find "nothing".

• 5 months later...

Tools are only as good as the user. I got a good tool, the Protimeter SM.

So what are the common mistakes that can be made when using this tool? What are its weak points and where does it shine? What can it do? What can't it do?

I'm just out for general knowledge of reasonable expectations and proper usage.

Hi

wats the features of this tool ?