I was told not to talk to the clients, just report

sepefrio

This was not my first inspection for him (3rd actually) and I'm the sucker type I guess. I usually give people one chance if it doesn't mess me over big time. And a simple inspection fee, to me, yes is a loss, but not worth being a jerk. Now, like I said before, I have another inspection set up with him on Thursday. If I'm not paid by then (for both), I'm not inspecting.

John, just curious, if this guy spoke to you like that, why would you even consider doing another job for him? IMO this is a big red flag with no signs of getting better.

I know it's easy for all of us to say what we would've done after the fact, but I'm fairly certian that if an agent spoke me that way, I'd tell him to find someone else (after I told him where to plant his lips and after I got paid for the first job). I don't need a job that bad.

I am doing it because although he is the agent, he isn't the client. I made a promise to the client to do an inspection at a certain time and I will keep that promise no matter how big a jerk the agent is.

That's admirable and I agree with you, but unless you make it very clear that you expect him to back off, it's more than likely you'll get more of the same.

I can visualize this scenerio:

"You are a deal killer! I can't believe how picky you are!. Oh and I was wondering if you were busy this weekend because my daughter is buying a house and she needs a picky inspector so we can use the report it to negotiate a lower price. Also-can I have a discount because of all the referrals I have given you?"

You know, this actually makes me feel good after thinking about it. Especially since I have one agent who gives me TONs of work. I always had a small voice in the back of my head doubting myself. Well, I don't anymore.

See, there is a bright side to everything!

Regarding who pays our fee-

I think it is very important that it be very clear who our client is. Most times, that is the buyer. In my view, at all times the client should be considered to be the person who signs the contract, unless we have very clear information from the buyer that his Realtor is authorized to pay on his behalf. In instances where my client (buyer) has an agreement to split the fee with the seller or a Realtor, I still explain that I need to be paid in total by the buyer, to avoid any confusion as to who I am working for. The buyer can be reimbursed by a third party after the fact. I don't want any dissatisfied client or third party raising any future concern about to whom my loyalties are owed. I wouldn't want to defend myself in court against a buyer who believes I was in kahoots with a Realtor or seller who paid me for the buyer's inspection.