Brave or just stupid?

I went into a very nasty crawlspace today. I, so far have never really thought twice about doing so. To start, when I say nasty, on average there was 3-4in of standing water all over. In some places I could almost stick my stinger in the water on end and only 1-2in was above water. Half the crawlspace had vapor barrier and it felt like I was crawling on a water bed.

Well, I don't care about getting dirty or wet. I'm in a tyvek body suit and unless I rip it, it keeps me pretty clean and dry. But today I came across something that made me stop in my tracks, back out and refuse to go back. I'm just curious how others deal with going into a crawlspace that is 100% covered with standing water a couple inches deep. BTW we have had MASSIVE amounts of rain the last few days and the grading explains the water.

But what I saw was electrical wiring, not terminated properly and in the water. I found at least 4 junction boxes not covered that also had wiring not terminated. But when I saw the one (pic below) it just went click in my head. I can get myself electrocuted down here. I'm out.

Has anyone ever heard of someone being electrocuted in this manner? Assuming you know for a fact it's not sewer water, but just standing rain water, would you go into a crawlspace?

To be honest, I thought I was being brave and doing the right thing. Now I feel like I was just being stupid.

Click to Enlarge
tn_200958185220_cs4.jpg

28.94 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_200958185231_cs6.jpg

22.12 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_200958185243_cs1.jpg

16.36 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_200958185253_cs2.jpg

19.33 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20095818532_cs3.jpg

24.94 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_200958185313_cs5.jpg

15.9 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_200958185323_cs7.jpg

21.17 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_200958185515_cs8.jpg

40.83 KB

[utube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYwMhepuJMA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="344">

They made us watch this during safety orientation classes at the nuke plants. Remembering this little video, has stopped me dead in my tracks many times since.

We don't work in the same place every day. Most of the time, we're going in to places we've never been. Every day of the week, somebody in some line of work doesn't make it home to their family.

I hope this sticks with you, as it has me. I'd hate to think someone might miss my next wise ass remark. Be safe.