The Nibbler

Robert Jones

Had my first look at a system called a "nibbler", which is used on septic systems today. First one of these in 7 yrs. Has anyone had experience with these? Is there a lifespan? The one installed at this property had the floating whiffle balls in the pit(s).

Here is a pic for anyone not familiar.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009519175528_P1010454%20(Medium).jpg

97.23 KB

Had my first look at a system called a "nibbler", which is used on septic systems today. First one of these in 7 yrs. Has anyone had experience with these? Is there a lifespan? The one installed at this property had the floating whiffle balls in the pit(s).

Click to Enlarge

97.23 KB

When I had a Koi pond I had a biological filter that looked almost identical. It would get rid of the nitrites and covert them to nitrates(or the other way, I always forget) which then the aquatic plants would use as food and then covert to oxygen. I had to clean sludge out of it every couple of years. The little balls would become clogged and the bacteria would die off. I'm betting that that Nibbler is very similar to what is used in Koi ponds.

I've seen aeration systems before but never anything with whiffle balls in it. Looks interesting.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Click to Enlarge

97.23 KB

When I had a Koi pond I had a biological filter that looked almost identical. It would get rid of the nitrites and covert them to nitrates(or the other way, I always forget) which then the aquatic plants would use as food and then covert to oxygen. I had to clean sludge out of it every couple of years. The little balls would become clogged and the bacteria would die off. I'm betting that that Nibbler is very similar to what is used in Koi ponds.

A friend of mine has an aquarium filter similar to that set up.

Not to surprising that this is now a bank owned home. Just shy of 5000 Sq Ft, 2 story with a full basement, built in 1976. Selling for 230k, so that might give you an idea of the condition and amount of work going into this report:( The only real positive is that the buyer, my client, realizes what needs to be done and "just wants the home". The home was used as a group home previously and really scabbed together.

OK, first things first, your client is nuts for wanting anything to do with a former group home. I have had the misfortune of working on several such properties, they're almost always trashed and every butcher in town has had his hands on it. Second, any septic system that has high maintenance, fidgity, filter thingies is a royal pain in the a$$. At least they had the sense to give reasonable access to that mess, unlike the several cubic yards of dirt I had to shift to rinse the Zabo fliter on my system. Who's the genius that thought a filter in a giant box of poo would actually work anyway.

Tom