power venting dot com

Jeff Beck

Has anyone had any experience with a company called Power Venting? I think they may be Colorado based (www.powerventing.com).

After all the hype, it appears that they just cut a hole in the side of the furnace air handler and attach some sheet metal that holds a paper air filter and alternatively, a metal shield to replace the filter during the heating months. They may also add some duct dampers to redirect more air to the top floor.

The theory is that the cool moist air from the basement is cycled through the air handler and then distributed along with the returned air to reduce cooling costs and direct more conditioned air to the top floor.

I saw this for the first time in an inspection yesterday. I wonder what affect this would have on the squirrel cage fan and on the furnace overall.

Jeff Beck

Foresight Inspection Service LLC

I did something similar to what you described on two houses in Utah. I found the homes became more comfortable year round. It not only drew cold out of the basement during the summer which in theory would help keep the cooling costs down (hard to determine), but it also kept the basement more comfortable in the winter since it took the cold drafty air out of the basement and made it warmer.

The fan shuould not have an effect on the squirell cage motor since it removes load from the motor.