no register in 1/2 bath

John Dirks Jr

It is no big deal to find a lack of HVAC register in a small 1st floor half bath?

It's a 1982 construction detached single family home.

I don't know if it's a big deal or not, but there's no requirement for heat in a bathroom. Around here, it's normal to omit a heating register in a bathroom that's "landlocked" in the middle of the house. Those little bathrooms do just fine without it. If the bathroom borders an exterior wall, though, it's nice to have heat in there whether it's required or not. Otherwise that toilet seat can get pretty darn cold.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

IRC says you have to HVAC in every living space. Bathrooms are not considered living space so no code requirement for HVAC in bathrooms.

I went through this a month or so ago with a master bathroom in new construction. As pointed out, the IRC does not consider bathrooms "habitable" spaces. In my case, I was going to call it, code or no code, as it was just stupid for a full bathroom. As it turns out (thanks again Randy), Seattle had made specific code changes requiring heat in bathrooms, so I was able to provide the client with that "ammunition".

As for powder rooms, even with the local code, I would have a hard time getting excited about one with no heat unless it was on an outside wall with a large window. It's not like people use these things naked, for a lengthy time. If you spend more than 5 minutes in the small room you probably need more fiber in your diet. Plus, my guess is that in 9 of 10 cases the doors are left open when not occupied.

Someone asked about a heat lamp. I don't know what good that would do for your butt in a powder room unless you turned it on for a few minutes before entering. You would be better off with a heated toilet seat!

ACCA manual J states that rooms calling for less than 30cfm should not be considered for a supply outlet. You will typically find this on small interior rooms such as bathrooms and closets. This would be especially true on an interior room on the lower floor of a 2 story home.