Wierd setup

sepefrio

Found a very odd set-up here and looking for a little advice. Besides being a total bubba job and not very smart, is it wrong?

The room is both a bath room and the laundry room. Normally, the receptacle for a washer is not required to be GFCI, but since it is next to a sink and toilet, should it be now?

The supply lines for the washer are tapped off the supply lines (Red circle) under the sink. There are two holes (blue arrow)cut in the side of the vanity for the lines. The drain for the washer is marked with a green circle.

The dryer would sit in front of the toilet, depending on the size of the dryer, there should be enough room for a person to use and stand in front of the toilet. And yes, that is a hot water baseboard heater that would be behind the dryer.

This could all be irrelevant of course as the location for the washer is only 23" by 28". Not many would fit there I think.

Besides being a stupid setup, what would you say?

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009528111858_question.jpg

22.7 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009528111929_bath.jpg

8.01 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009528112026_washerline.jpg

14.56 KB

Found a very odd set-up here and looking for a little advice. Besides being a total bubba job and not very smart, is it wrong?

The room is both a bath room and the laundry room. Normally, the receptacle for a washer is not required to be GFCI, but since it is next to a sink and toilet, should it be now?

If a room contains a basin with either a toilet, a tub, or a shower, then that room is a bathroom per the NEC definitions. If the bathroom contains a washer & dryer that doesn't change the fact that it's a bathroom. All receptacle outlets in bathrooms are supposed to have GFCI protection. There's no reason to omit it here.

The supply lines for the washer are tapped off the supply lines (Red circle) under the sink. There are two holes (blue arrow)cut in the side of the vanity for the lines. The drain for the washer is marked with a green circle.

I don't see a problem with any of that.

The dryer would sit in front of the toilet, depending on the size of the dryer, there should be enough room for a person to use and stand in front of the toilet.

The toilet is supposed to have 21" of clear space in front of it per the IRC.

And yes, that is a hot water baseboard heater that would be behind the dryer.

The baseboard heater manufacturer might have rules about how much clear space is required in front of their products. I don't know those rules.

This could all be irrelevant of course as the location for the washer is only 23" by 28". Not many would fit there I think.

I think that Whirlpool makes a 24 x 28 version of the Thin Twin. If that doesn't work, there are some spendy euro models that are really tiny.

Besides being a stupid setup, what would you say?

Not much. It's just a poorly planned setup.

- Jim Katen, Oregon