Sub-panel sizing

Bain

I'm in the middle of a little, uh, spat with a builder who pulled a 100-amp sub-panel off a 200-amp main panel in new construction. I was always told that the sub shouldn't exceed 30% of the capacity of the main.

Nevermind that the service should have been appropriately sized in the first place, obviating the need for the sub-panel. Is the 30% rule a common sense thing, or is it supported by the NEC?

I'm in the middle of a little, uh, spat with a builder who pulled a 100-amp sub-panel off a 200-amp main panel in new construction. I was always told that the sub shouldn't exceed 30% of the capacity of the main.

Nevermind that the service should have been appropriately sized in the first place, obviating the need for the sub-panel. Is the 30% rule a common sense thing, or is it supported by the NEC?

I've never heard of such a rule. It certainly isn't in the NEC. Where did you hear it?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Mmmm, so it appears I've been operating on faulty information.

I hate when that happens to me.

Mmmm, so it appears I've been operating on faulty information. Thanks for setting me straight.

Being set straight is gratifying but it doesn't completely ease the pain of being wrong in the first place..

Mmmm, so it appears I've been operating on faulty information.

I hate when that happens to me.

Mmmm, so it appears I've been operating on faulty information. Thanks for setting me straight.

Being set straight is gratifying but it doesn't completely ease the pain of being wrong in the first place..

Yeah, but at least I'm showing progress. Twenty years ago, you could have tied me to a tree, soaked me with gasoline, and held a Bic a few inches from my nose . . . I still wouldn't have admitted I was wrong.

Yeah, but at least I'm showing progress. Twenty years ago, you could have tied me to a tree, soaked me with gasoline, and held a Bic a few inches from my nose . . . I still wouldn't have admitted I was wrong.

In the modern home inspector vernacular, that's known as being somewhat peckish. [:-graduat

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

In the modern home inspector vernacular, that's known as being somewhat peckish. [:-graduat

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I don't care who you are --- that's funny.