Work area

Phillip

I do not have older code books so if some one can help me when was it required to have floored work space and walkway to the furnace in the attic?

The reason why is today inspection; the house was built in 1995 There was no workspace at the unit and no walkway.

Some one had put some boards to stand on at the unit. and the one I was standing on broke and this happen.

Click to Enlarge
tn_200963152129_Picture%20064.jpg

43.59 KB

I do not have older code books so if some one can help me when was it required to have floored work space and walkway to the furnace in the attic?

The reason why is today inspection; the house was built in 1995 There was no workspace at the unit and no walkway.

Some one had put some boards to stand on at the unit. and the one I was standing on broke and this happen.

Click to Enlarge
tn_200963152129_Picture%20064.jpg

43.59 KB

Phillip, not a code issue... just lay off the Big Mac's[;)]

Since the IRC was not around and accepted in '95, you would have to see what code the city/state was operating under. The codes in existence though were requiring a work platform back in '95 and before when I started inspecting.

Their board broke when you were using the flooring for it's intended purpose. They are lucky you don't sue them!

All-in-all though, if the owner pushed for me to fix it, I would just out of concern for my reputation... that is unless they were being a real horses azz.

A 30" deep platform, a 24" wide solid walkway, and a 30"x30" access opening were required for attic furnaces in the 1979 CABO. However, I suspect that your area was on BOCA in those days. I don't have any of the BOCA codes.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

It the first time in 9 years of inspecting.

Can someone give me a ideal on how much the repair will cost. This is in one of my outer areas where I don't know any repair person

There's only about $5 in materials in that job; the cost will be all labor so it depends on how much labor costs in your neck of the nation. Around here, I could get it repaired very well for about $200.

- Jim Katen, Oregon