Be Careful Out There!

Mr. Electric

The oven and cooktop both lit up when any knob was turned on. I would agree that more than likely they are not grounded. There is the possibility that there is a short in the appliance, and since they are not grounded the case could be energized.

I just want to let all of you know that you need to be careful when touching anything electric. Don't make your body the path (don't touch anything if you are grounded) for electricity.

Live range controls are small potatoes, I once ran across a house with every door and window live. It was new construction and the painters had removed the cover on the gas fireplace in the master bedroom, the hot side of the switch for the blower made contact with the metal chassis, one of the nails for the vinyl siding made contact with a strap on the b vent, the foil face house wrap made contact with every aluminum clad window and the hinge screws for the steel entry doors. No one expects a door knob to give them a shock. I think 5 or 6 guys went and grabbed that door knob because no one beleived it was possible.

Tom

Hi All,

I didn't post it here, partly because it was pretty graphic, but mostly because I didn't know how to do it, but Jim Simmons (Mr. Electric) sent me a short video showing a guy who was standing on top of a train somewhere in Asia - I'm going to guess either India, Pakastan or Bangladesh - and reached up and put his hand on the power line that supplied juice to that electric train. He was literally cooked from the inside out in about two seconds flat and collapsed on the roof of that train and then his exterior began to burst into flame before the video cut off.

About all one can say about electricity is that at least it's quick.

I got an email the other day from a group of women contractors. I'm not sure why, but I somehow ended up on their newsletter mailing list. The cover story for their newsletter this month was about one of their members, a female electrician, who'd died recently while standing on some metal scaffolding doing some work on some overhead lights someplace here in Washington state.

Be careful out there.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike