Not real sure why?

Robert Jones

Today's inspection had a home that had the south facing side of the roof replaced approx 7 yrs ago with a comp shingle but, the north facing side was not touched(left with wood shingles). I don't remember ever having seen this. The home owner stated a roofer did the work.

Would it just be a cheap home owner?

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009661912_P1020339%20(Medium).jpg

52.81 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009661936_P1020343%20(Medium).jpg

76.89 KB

It's very common around here, particularly on old buildings, to have different aged roof coverings on different sections. Some folks replace individual slopes as needed - if there's a few more years left on one, but not the others.

My last home had a standing seam metal roof over the original part, 2nd layer of fiberglass shingles over addition 1, one layer of old asphalt shingles over addition 2 and a new fiberglass shingled roof over addition 3. In an attic, there was one small area that had the original oak shingles.

In your first pic, is that really a shake roof or are they shingles?

Bill,

Thanks for the reply. They are wood shingles, I didn't realize I had typed in shake. I better go amend that before Mike or Jim notice it;)

The only time I have really seen anything like that here, was on a detached type building. Just goes to show that this is a never ending learning experience.