bowed vinyl window

Ken Meyer

The top of this vinyl slider widow is bowed, as you can see, but it does not affect how the slider operates, and the screen insert can be removed from the inside. Is this worth mentioning? I think it was probably bent before it was installed, but it got put in anyway. This is new construction.

Click to Enlarge
tn_200961413535_P6131273%20copy.jpg

28.88 KB

I would mention it. I would note that it's not adversely affecting the operation of the window at this time and that I don't know if it will get worse or lead to a problem, but my emphasis would be on their understanding of what it might involve in correcting it (if you want it corrected, you'll need to do x, y & z). I imagine that if the window became damaged for any reason, the mfg might void the warranty based on not following the mfg.'s installation instructions.

Chris, Oregon

Hi,

Looking at that, I'd suspect that the rough opening might have been too tight. Vinyl windows expand at twice the rate of aluminum, wood or fiberglass windows. If the framer makes the rough opening too tight and they try to force the window into place, there's a good chance that when warmer weather arrives and that window expands that corners welds will split and it will do exactly what you see it doing there.

That's a theory only and there's no way to prove it without an invasive inspection.

Best to just write up the fact that those are supposed to be straight; and, since that one isn't, it isn't correct and tell them to bring it to the attention of the builder for correction. Whatever happens after that is between them and the builder. When it's a new home and folks ask me about whether they should fuss about that kind of thing with the builder I ask them whether they'd accept a new Mercedes with a scratch or dent in the fender without talking to the dealer about it first. They get it.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Thanks, the analogy about the new car is perfect, I'll be using that one in the future. I think they will press the issue with the builder, we had other discussions during the inspection about imperfections in the paint and other cosmetic issues, and I told them pretty much the same thing, since it's a new house, they have a right to expect it to look new.