U.S. Dept. of Labor Launches New Safety Site

Editors note: Though most companies in this profession are one-man shops, the following article may be of value to multi-inspector firms.

WASHINGTON, August 18 - The U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has launched a Web page containing information and tips specifically related to safety and health for workers in the residential construction industry. The Web site was created with guidance and assistance from the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB).

OSHA’s Residential Construction Safety and Health Web page features information about OSHA standards that apply to residential construction as well as the hazards present in residential construction and solutions available to the industry.

“This new OSHA Web page focuses on residential construction industry-specific safety and health information that can help employers and workers establish and maintain safer worksites,â€

I'm lucky, OSHA always comes to me, I have no reason to visit them. They always bring good advice like "put a ground on your steel benches" I say I have like twenty benches..are you serious? They say "fire extinguishers can't be any higher that 52 inches" I say mine are 53 1/2 inches.. shall I move all thirty of them..it'll be no trouble to re-weld all the brackets to the I beams after I cut them off. They say "all lifts must have a safety that engages no higher than twelve inches" I say "my lifts go up 6 feet, why would I go under one when it's twelve inches high?"

I have minimized their visits though. I've found if I start crying and screaming every time they come, they come less and leave faster.