too many breakers

Ken Meyer

In this GE split bus panel, there are 22 120V breakers in the lighting section, most of them twins. Usually I can find the maximum # of breakers allowed on the label, but I can't find it on this panel. It does say "70 AMP max. branch breakers". Does that mean the total combined amperage of all of the branch circuit breakers?

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009622193826_P6221655%20copy.jpg

65.59 KB

Ken, I would go with what the label diagram says. I would read it as 22 breakers maximum total- for both sections.

Thanks, I'll go with that. There are more problems with this panel and another one I found in the pool house that feeds this one, making the house panel a sub panel and wired all wrong. Lots of other stuff wrong, too.

In this GE split bus panel, there are 22 120V breakers in the lighting section, most of them twins. Usually I can find the maximum # of breakers allowed on the label, but I can't find it on this panel. It does say "70 AMP max. branch breakers". Does that mean the total combined amperage of all of the branch circuit breakers?

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009622193826_P6221655%20copy.jpg

65.59 KB

According to the label...

There could actually be as many as 26 toggles (counting those tied together as 2). The label allows a twin-quad in the "4" position and 4 twins in the bottom 4 full size position. The other stabs are not supposed to accept twin GE breakers. So...the lighting section is "listed" for 16 breakers maximum and if you have 22 there it would be wrong. But that's nothing to do with the "70-amps" and you certainly don't just add up breakers to come up with the number.

The label shows the main breaker feeding the lighting section can be as big as 100-amp. No individual breaker (single or two-pole) feeding actual circuits can be larger than 70-amp.