Window/Brick Exterior Detailing?

Kyle Kubs

Ok, obviously these windows are not sealed properly but what kind of detailing would you expect to see here? Just caulking? Some kind of casing bead to terminate the brick and then Caulk?

Click to Enlarge
tn_200971231650_DSCN2023.jpg

55.77 KB

Also, does EIFS type trim around the windows and door need to have a control joint between it and the hardcoat?

Click to Enlarge
tn_200971232046_DSCN1993.jpg

45.07 KB

This is a $1.1 Mil McMansion with every shortcut under the sun hangin in the breeze.

Some of the more obvious hardcoat stucco errors.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif DSCN1996.JPG

959.46 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif DSCN2002.JPG

878.03 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif DSCN2013.JPG

1063.33 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif DSCN2016.JPG

894.31 KB

I think that's a disaster. It's a rough masonry hole with a cheap window stuffed in it.

I'd want to see sills, drip caps, thru wall flashing, end dams, wicks, and some semblance of an architectural design/detail that diverted water around the opening. Could be lots of things, but it looks like there's not anything.

We know by now that such methods really don't work. At all.

I think that's a disaster. It's a rough masonry hole with a cheap window stuffed in it.

That was pretty much my feeling when I looked at it.

"I'd want to see sills, drip caps, thru wall flashing, end dams, wicks, and some semblance of an architectural design/detail that diverted water around the opening. Could be lots of things, but it looks like there's not anything."

I figured, and was hoping, you'd be the first one to reply.

Such detailing involving brickwork is definitely on my list of things I need to improve on. Anything you could point me to that would show me what it should look like?

I'm assuming there's a lintel over the opening, but....... Is there a lintel?

After that, I'd want to know what the mfg. showed in their spec's.

I would never have the window set out flush with the face of the brick; it should be set in, and there should be flashing above and below it. Some semblance of a sill, even rowlock brick, although I don't like rowlocks in modern masonry; they leak.

Here's a couple showing some flashing details.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20097291946_brick3.jpg

54.35 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20097292054_brick.jpg

62.4 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20097292139_brick2.jpg

61.1 KB

Thanks Kurt.

Yes there were lintels. Poorly installed like everything else, some painted, some not, most installed pretty much flush with the face of the brick so there is no hope of keeping the joint sealed and no, no flashing of any kind, no weeps anywhere...

Top of Garage Doors

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif DSCN2021.JPG

947.99 KB

Well the second picture doesn't show it very well but the trim around the windows is EIFS style trim with styrofoam behind it and the field of the wall is all modern hardcoat. Should there be an expansion joint/control joint between them?

I really hate new houses.