Smoke detector at least 1 foot from any wall

Mark P

I cannot find this in the IRC or code check.

It is in the JLC Field Guide, but with no code reference.

The house is new construction and the smoke detector is 5 inches from the bedroom wall directly above the door. The buyer is an electrician and swears it needs to be at least 6"....

I told him I would try and find a reference to support tearing up the ceiling to move the detector. Does anyone have a code reference for this? I don't know what code this town uses, every town is different around here.

Thanks

Wouldn't the manufacturer's instructions determine that?

The 4" rule applies here also for both wall and ceiling distance to a maximum of 20" from the ceiling.

Tests have shown that smoke will roll in corners and placing them in the 'dead' zone won't activate them. Same applies at the top of a cathedral ceiling for instance.

When I see them inside bedrooms, I make sure they're interlocked with the outside ones.

BTW You can charge more money if you refer to them as Smoke Alarms. [:-graduat

I looked at the "First Alert" website and found nothing. I tried to call, but they are closed for the holiday.

So is it 4" to the center or the edge? This one was around 5" to the center and under 4" to the edge. I mentioned the NFPA 72 4 inch rule. I 'll try and call again on Monday, so by the time the builder comes back, I can either say "the manfactures say xyz...", or "Your right sorry about that..."

I looked at the "First Alert" website and found nothing. I tried to call, but they are closed for the holiday.

So is it 4" to the center or the edge? This one was around 5" to the center and under 4" to the edge. I mentioned the NFPA 72 4 inch rule. I 'll try and call again on Monday, so by the time the builder comes back, I can either say "the manfactures say xyz...", or "Your right sorry about that..."

Go here:

http://www.firstalert.com/smoke_alarms_item.php?pid=3

The link at the bottom of the page takes you to the manual here:

http://www.firstalert.com/pdfs/2007/06/ ... 02_web.pdf

- Jim Katen, Oregon