what's wrong with your house?

We call out stuff all the time on other houses. I bet we all have a few things to fix ourselves.

What's the top of the list to fix on your house?

Several years ago, we were considering moving. Since I'm an inspector and since I built the house, I figured I'd be held to a pretty high standard of disclosure. So I started to make a list of defects -- not a home inspection report, mind you, just a simple list of defects. When I reached 51 pages, with no end in sight, I decided that it would be easier to never sell the house.

I need to replace a rake board or two. BTW, what material should I use? Treated lumber, synthetic material or plain 1x?

Is that an actual rafter or just trim? If trim, I think Azek is pretty cool stuff.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

We call out stuff all the time on other houses. I bet we all have a few things to fix ourselves.

Several years ago, we were considering moving. Since I'm an inspector and since I built the house, I figured I'd be held to a pretty high standard of disclosure. So I started to make a list of defects -- not a home inspection report, mind you, just a simple list of defects. When I reached 51 pages, with no end in sight, I decided that it would be easier to never sell the house.

I need to replace a rake board or two. BTW, what material should I use? Treated lumber, synthetic material or plain 1x?

Is that an actual rafter or just trim? If trim, I think Azek is pretty cool stuff.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Its just trim.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20097316531_HPIM7500.jpg

54.98 KB

Tear down. Re-build.

Click to Enlarge

54.98 KB

Tear down. Re-build.

Are you suggesting dynamite????

Click to Enlarge

54.98 KB

My 87-year-old house is a major work in progress, but one particularly dopey thing is that the exterior cable that energizes my A/C condenser isn't UV rated and isn't enclosed in conduit. It's just a piece of regular 10-gauge Romex.

When the condenser was installed, it was late in the day when the tech said he'd neglected to pick up a Liquid-Tite connections kit and would come back the next day to finish the project. I just wanted cool air in the house and told him not to worry about it . . . that I'd take care of it myself.

Every year, putting a piece of conduit on the wire goes on my list of stuff to do, but five years later, I still haven't gotten around to it. Umm, I do check the sheathing to make certain it isn't damaged. Luckily there's a huge pine tree that mostly shields the cable from the sun.

Click to Enlarge

54.98 KB

My 87-year-old house is a major work in progress, but one particularly dopey thing is that the exterior cable that energizes my A/C condenser isn't UV rated and isn't enclosed in conduit. It's just a piece of regular 10-gauge Romex.

When the condenser was installed, it was late in the day when the tech said he'd neglected to pick up a Liquid-Tite connections kit and would come back the next day to finish the project. I just wanted cool air in the house and told him not to worry about it . . . that I'd take care of it myself.

Every year, putting a piece of conduit on the wire goes on my list of stuff to do, but five years later, I still haven't gotten around to it. Umm, I do check the sheathing to make certain it isn't damaged. Luckily there's a huge pine tree that mostly shields the cable from the sun.

I bet you think about that wire when you write other ones up don't you?

I know when I write up rotten wood, I sometimes think about my own.

Click to Enlarge

54.98 KB

Tear down. Re-build.

Are you suggesting dynamite????

No, I was talking about my house . . .

Tear down. Rebuild.

Click to Enlarge

54.98 KB

I bet you think about that wire when you write other ones up don't you?

I know when I write up rotten wood, I sometimes think about my own.

Yeah, that and the gazillion other things. But just wait, when I finish with the old place . . .