GFCI breaker won't reset

Jerry Lozier

Sylvania(zinsco) panel... we already know there are know safety concerns.... 1970 house

I tripped gfci recepticle in bathroom, breaker in panel tripped fine, reset just fine however now there is no power at bathrooms or outside gfci

( panel legend says bathroom, outside) Flipped the breaker several more times still no power....

So Adam Henry listing agent is livid that I broke this breaker, I said lets get an electrician in here to sort out and we'll figure out later who buys it. Haven't finished report yet, going to write up as just as I stated above and also sylvania/zinsco issues

what say you???

Jerry

I tripped gfci recepticle in bathroom, breaker in panel tripped fine, reset just fine however now there is no power at bathrooms or outside gfci

( panel legend says bathroom, outside) Flipped the breaker several more times still no power....

Was there a GFCI in the receptacle as well as a GFCI breaker under the same circuit? I can't really tell from the explanation.

If there is a GFCI breaker as well as GFCI receptacles under the same circuit, I bet you that there is a line side GFCI receptacle somewhere else that is tripped. If this is the case, you may need to start searching for the first tripped GFCI receptacle in the circuit. Also, if this is the case, an electrician probably did not do the wiring.

Was there a GFCI in the receptacle as well as a GFCI breaker under the same circuit? I can't really tell from the explanation.

All I found was gfci breaker in panel: 2 bathrooms standard outlets, found 1 std outlet exterior in attached shed/room with much stored items and firewood stacked against house, ( no power to these, gfci in panel marked (bathrooms and exterior) So you could be right there could be one more being a gfci outlet somewhere. Also another locked out shed attached to house. not a pretty site

Ahhhh! Got it. LOL!

My brother in law is a cop, and said they use it over the radio to quietly summon help when things start going south or think there may be a problem brewing.... also learned if they have a problem at a traffic stop with Adam Henry they will press their ballpoint real hard into the picture from the back to make a braille like 'notice' to the next cop when he gets the license in hand he can feel their might be a problem soon... I wondered why my license had a bump on my forehead.... hmmmm

If the GFCI breaker failed to reset then it's defective and the homeowner should be thanking you for revealing a latent safety defect.

If there are two GFCIs in series then... that's why I stopped pushing the little button on my 3-light neon tester. I got tired of hunting around to figure out where the darned thing had tripped. Instead I push the button on the device itself, then go around to find the places downstream that no longer have power. If I've tripped all the GFCIs I can find and something still has power that shouldn't, then I tell them to have an electrician install more GFCIs.

If the GFCI breaker failed to reset then it's defective and the homeowner should be thanking you for revealing a latent safety defect.

If there are two GFCIs in series then... that's why I stopped pushing the little button on my 3-light neon tester. I got tired of hunting around to figure out where the darned thing had tripped. Instead I push the button on the device itself, then go around to find the places downstream that no longer have power. If I've tripped all the GFCIs I can find and something still has power that shouldn't, then I tell them to have an electrician install more GFCIs.

That is how I do AFCI's, however never done it that way or run into this before on GFCI's, maybe have to start.... anyway spent another hour searching, no more dead outlets and could not find another gfci outlet... it is an estate home (2000') just crammmmed full of stuff inside an out. Lots of obvious homeowner crap wiring, unboxed splices, lamp cord & extension cords through walls... yadayada...

So my next question is there a case when a licensed electrician would add a gfci outlet on a circuit that already has an obvious gfci breaker in panel and what would be the purpose if they did ???

. . . So my next question is there a case when a licensed electrician would add a gfci outlet on a circuit that already has an obvious gfci breaker in panel and what would be the purpose if they did ???

If a real electrician knew that there was a GFCI breaker at the top of the circuit, he wouldn't add another. Buy you said that this was an estate. I expect that the old gaffer who lived there did all sorts of creative things on his own.

- Jim Katen, Oregon