Gas Meter Clearance diagrams (& question)

Richard Moore

I had the gas meter (and the regulator vent) right next to the openable section of a finished basement window today. This is an original window in a '67 home. I will be recommending the vent gets piped to terminate at least 3' away. The one question I have is whether this could be done by the HVAC guy (needs new furnace), or a plumber, or would this typically be the utility company's responsibilty?

Anyhoooo...With the caveat that clearances may vary in your particular area, Puget Sound Energy has a very nice PDF with diagrams for required clearances. I thought some of you might like it.

http://www.pse.com/SiteCollectionDocume ... s/3885.pdf

I had the gas meter (and the regulator vent) right next to the openable section of a finished basement window today. This is an original window in a '67 home. I will be recommending the vent gets piped to terminate at least 3' away. The one question I have is whether this could be done by the HVAC guy (needs new furnace), or a plumber, or would this typically be the utility company's responsibilty?

Anyhoooo...With the caveat that clearances may vary in your particular area, Puget Sound Energy has a very nice PDF with diagrams for required clearances. I thought some of you might like it.

http://www.pse.com/SiteCollectionDocume ... s/3885.pdf

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009717113328_Gas%20Meter.jpg

39.15 KB

The rack(s), vent/regulator and meter are installed by the utility company on this coast, you can contact your local gas company and get the requirements, The gas line, in this case low pressure stainless steel is the plumbers.

Hope this helps

Tim

I would say it is the plumber that would get the call. At least down here all things gas are (usually) the plumbers area of expertise. Most of the vent extensions I have seen are run out of soldered copper which ac guys don't play around with much, if at all. The utility guys will probably think you are nuts for even asking, in my experience. Once they install their basic items (meter, stops, etc) they are done. Might be different in your area, 'tho.

I'd start with the utility, but if they put there they probably think it's fine. Heck, my gas meter is in the basement and there is no external vent. There's hundreds of them like that around here and the utility won't change 'em.

Tim, how many decades did you tell them it would take for that shrub to provide adequate crash protection for those meters? That is something the utility should be responsible for; if they pick a really dumb location they should be responsible for the barriers.

Tom

I'd start with the utility, but if they put there they probably think it's fine. Heck, my gas meter is in the basement and there is no external vent. There's hundreds of them like that around here and the utility won't change 'em.

Tim, how many decades did you tell them it would take for that shrub to provide adequate crash protection for those meters? That is something the utility should be responsible for; if they pick a really dumb location they should be responsible for the barriers.

Tom

Your are correct, it is the gas companies responsibility to determine if barriers are required, and should they determine that they are, they will not install the meters without the barriers.

I have yet to see barriers on residential units where the gas meters are installed beside the garage door.

The one that complains about the bushes will be the meter reader.

Have a great day

Tim