Anyone using YouTube?

Well done, Joe. Like Tom, I have some reservations about the respirator, but then again, THAT IS what we do.

I have three short videos on my web site, in which the babelicious Sarah Jane tells the world how wonderful I am. I've had nothing but positive responses and she definitely grabs the eyeball. I think maybe it's not the content of the videos so much, but rather that they personalize a web site, rather than telling a surfer for the millionth time that "buying a house is one of the largest financial investments you'll ever make . . . "

I mean, really. Yawn city.

Kudos to you!

Yeah, I noticed the respirator straps flopping around as I was talking. I even thought to myself "I bet that's going to look goofy". It also should have made me realize that I was bobbing my head around too much. I should have done a dry run at home.

As far as having it on my head, that's what I would do if I was taking it off for just a minute or two to talk to someone. It's a lot easier to get back on that way. Looking at the still image in the YouTube video, it kind of makes me look like I have devil horns.

As for the cue card, I WAS using a cue card. All of the Uhhhs were when I was trying mightily to read my crappy handwriting.[:-weepn]

Click to Enlarge
tn_201131305515_1.jpg

51.63 KB

I can't comment on the audio or content for obvious reasons but the crawlspace seemed to me an excellent choice of setting. The glare in the glasses didn't contribute. Professional attire, relaxed tone of voice (or so it seemed), brief message, I liked what I saw. I'll probably try something like that when I attempt mine.

What video resolution was that Joe?

Marc

Marc:

I shot the video on Hi-8 (analog) and captured it at 720 X 480.

I chose to do it in the crawlspace for several reasons.

• I've never seen it done before. There are lots of videos out there of inspectors giving their pitch, but not from a crawlspace.
  • It's not something one would expect to see. It was an attention getter; hopefully enough to compel people to watch.
  • It just might plant the idea in a prospective buyer's head that there might be some unpleasantness and discomfort involved in an inspection and they might be getting some value for their money that they hadn't thought of.

I don't have any "introduction" videos on my youtube page, but I've posted a lot of videos of defects that I've found during inspections where I just thought a video would help to illustrate the problem. I link to the videos in my inspection reports. I've found that it's a lot easier to sound like a dumbass with your lips flapping, so I try to keep my mouth shut in the videos.

I've been on the news a few times, so I put those clips on my youtube channel.

I also have one clip where I talk to the camera and I didn't hate the clip.

[utube]

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="344">

[utube]

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="344">

I finally got around to watching it. I thought it was gonna be goofy - it wasn't. It was actually pretty good.

I'd suggest shortening it a bit to meet the interweb's limited attention span (and my ADD).

Also, the white suit - I kept trying to poke your belly on my monitor.

tn_2011314204940_Pillsbury_Doughboy.jpg

I don't have any "introduction" videos on my youtube page, but I've posted a lot of videos of defects that I've found during inspections where I just thought a video would help to illustrate the problem. I link to the videos in my inspection reports. I've found that it's a lot easier to sound like a dumbass with your lips flapping, so I try to keep my mouth shut in the videos.

I've been on the news a few times, so I put those clips on my youtube channel.

I also have one clip where I talk to the camera and I didn't hate the clip.

[utube]

Isn't cutting the VP considered an invasive method? In any case, I'm impressed with the find.

Marc

I think more people should zip siding open to take a look. I don't think what Reuben did was all that invasive.

It's not like he screwed up the house; it's already screwed up. He just showed what has to shown.

I finally got around to watching both videos too. They're fine.

It's a weird thing, being on camera. The attempts I've made are horrible; I wouldn't show them to anyone.

• 5 years later...

We are a newer home inspection company but I know some different marketing people and all have talked about how in 2017 and beyond how HUGE video marketing is going to be and how it is going to be a major factor moving forward. We have not done anything with our YT account as of yet but we have plans to and I suggest everyone else make plans to use video as much as you can