Centered woodstove.

Brandon Whitmore

This woodstove is in the house of an upcoming inspection. I can't remember the last time I saw a woodstove centered in a room like this:

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif WOODSTOVE.jpg

32.03 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif stove.jpg

53.08 KB

It's centrally located so it should heat the house pretty well. What are some drawbacks to this installation, if any, besides the child safety concern?

Where will they store the wood that's about to be burned?

It looks as if the stove is surrounded on three sides by white carpet. There's a bright idea . . . not. The place is going to get filthy fast if they actually use the stove. If they don't use the stove, then they have this ugly dirty thing in the middle of their great room.

As for the kids, when mine were little, we kept a gate around the woodstove (which was our only means of heating the house in those days). It worked fine but I cursed it daily until the little rug rat was old enough for us to remove it.

How's your hind paw doing?

- Jim in Oregon

Thanks Jim,

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything besides the obvious. I wonder where they are gonna place the couch and TV seeing as how the entire place is just over 1,000 sq. ft. It's going to get pretty hot in that room.

How's your hind paw doing?

We'll see tomorrow. I did a MFGH yesterday-- figured it was a good test. I never realized how steep their roofs were 'til I walked it in my cool space boot. I made it through alright.

Tomorrow, I've got a 4,000 sq. ft. house with a detached apartment/ shop in West Linn. If you hear of an inspector roof crawling on his hands and knees, that'll most likely be me tomorrow[:-slaphap If the roof turns out to be too tough, I may sub out the roof inspections for a while.

Thanks for asking.

. . . Tomorrow, I've got a 4,000 sq. ft. house with a detached apartment/ shop in West Linn. If you hear of an inspector roof crawling on his hands and knees, that'll most likely be me tomorrow[:-slaphap If the roof turns out to be too tough, I may sub out the roof inspections for a while.

Thanks for asking.

Two words: Bucket truck.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Aside from the concerns about child safety, this is the best possible configuration for heating efficiency and clearance to combustibles. Is there a data plate on it? C.T.C. on an uncertified wood stove is 48"

Really? In the U.S. it's only 36".

That's a certified stove, though.

- Jim Katen, Oregon