Local warming.

A fella from somewhere in TX summed it up pretty well for me when we were chatting on the sidewalk in Puerto Vallarta in the afternoon sun a couple of years back. Temps and humidity were both in the very high 90's when he said to me:

"Son, it's hotter'n two rats fornicatin' in a wool sock!"

(Of course, he didn't say "fornicatin' ")

Like 'orange-vested aisle urchins', there are just some phrases that cannot be improved upon.

You know, it's funny. I appreciate a good bitching session about the temperature as much as the next guy. I tell my teenage boys that we -- meaning people of my age (49) and over -- lived through worse times than they have. Yet somehow we survived. More importantly, those generations who preceded us long before the advent of air conditioning survived also. They were tougher: they had to be.

AP...The National Weather Service in Seattle recorded 103 degrees at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, breaking a previous record of 100 degrees, set in downtown Seattle in 1941 and repeated at the airport in 1994.

Jay Albrecht, a Seattle meteorologist with the service, said it's the hottest it has been in Seattle since records dating to 1891.

So, even at 59, maybe I haven't lived through worse than this? I'm managing. I even slept well last night with the ceiling fan going full blast. My dog, though, fetched me a set of clippers this morning, along with a photo of those hairless Chinese mutts. I think he was hinting.

I think the weather is just something God gave us so we have something to complain about:

Too Hot

Too Cold

Too Wet

Too Dry

And every now and then, one of those perfect days just to mess us up.

The only thing normal about the weather is that it's never normal.

What's interesting about the weather is that we know almost nothing about it. Forecasting weather patterns is a very new science, only slightly over 100 years old.

Think about the range of *weather* and temperatures that the universe possesses; millions of degrees above and below zero all over the place out there. We complain when it ticks up or down a few degrees in that narrow range that supports our life systems.

Get comfy and no complainin'; we could be gettin' smoked by some galactical *weather*......