Emergency egress

Home built in 1946, a portion of the basement has been converted into a bedroom with a main entry door, closet, bathroom etc... Does the secondary egress rule apply? Basement is below grade and there are no windows. According to the 2006 IRC R301.1, an emergency escape is required. Did I answer my own question?

Home built in 1946, a portion of the basement has been converted into a bedroom with a main entry door, closet, bathroom etc... Does the secondary egress rule apply?

If you are saying that there is no window, even in the bedroom, then this is not a legal bedroom. It probably would have never been considered to be one. Did you recommend a permit search by chance?

Home built in 1946, a portion of the basement has been converted into a bedroom with a main entry door, closet, bathroom etc... Does the secondary egress rule apply?

If you are saying that there is no window, even in the bedroom, then this is not a legal bedroom. It probably would have never been considered to be one. Did you recommend a permit search by chance?

Brandon, could you tell me where to find the definition of a "legal bedroom"

I know that some jurisdictions for permit purposes, will say if it has a closet it is a bedroom, so this may vary from area to area, FEMA (this is the only national organization that I can find that addresses this) says a room is whatever it is used for.

Any help you can give me would be appreciated

Thanks

Tim

will say if it has a closet it is a bedroom

Hi Tim,

A bedroom is not really specifically defined in the IRC, but..........

A bedroom requires a heat source per the IRC.

A bedroom requires a secondary egress (such as a window or walk out door) per the IRC.

A bedroom requires a min. footprint (70 sq. ft. comes to mind with a min. 7' min. width) per the IRC.

A closet is not required in a bedroom, unless your jurisdiction requires one.

If you need code cites for the above, let me know. I am assuming you want something that specifically states that you must have A, B, and C to call a room a legal bedroom-- I haven't seen anything like that, although it may exist.