I'll find out if I can make it.

Brandon Whitmore

I'd go from the second floor deck behind the tree with my shorter gorilla. Of course, you'll need someone on the house side of your ladder holding onto it 'cuz you're going to be near vertical.

Wow, I'm starting to wonder if I am blind-- that deck/ balcony may work out well. Question: Do I trust my telesteps on something like this? hmmmmm

A few years ago, I would have balanced a Telesteps on the front-porch roof and shimmied up. I realize it sounds crazy, but I've done it a gazillion times without incident.

I've done that a few times, but am starting to shy away from it. I used to just haul my extension ladder up behind me and do the chinese fire drill.

If I was 100%, I'd just go up the steep end by holding onto the rake, but that not happenin' this week. I feel more comfortable doing that than balancing on a ridge.

I could always call the fire dept. and see if they want to do me a favor, uh, I mean fire drill. [:-slaphap

Warning: Thread drift.

But I was rereading a favorite book last night in which a short piece sorta describes how nutty Mike, Brandon and I are, but also why clinging to a rake, ascending a vertical ladder, and teetering atop a porch roof really aren't such bad things.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif DSC00001.JPG

801.68 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif DSC00002.JPG

828.41 KB

Both photos copyright "the lives and times of archy and mehitabel," by Don Marquis.

Cougar Paws.

I carry a couple 18' nylon web straps and buckles; I use them to cinch ladders to solid structure when I'm losing the angle of the dangle.

I'd take a small LG and go off that little deck like Mike; no problemo if there's any place to put the ladder.

I've done the telesteps off the front porch roof dance a thousand times, but honestly, it's stoopid. I used to feel it was just fine, now I think it's insane.

What about e.e. cummings?

Or Garcia-Marquez?!?

A few years ago, I would have balanced a Telesteps on the front-porch roof and shimmied up. I realize it sounds crazy, but I've done it a gazillion times without incident.

My knees, however, aren't what they once were . . .

I did exactly that this past Sunday with my gorilla ladder but I'd never attempt it with one of those flimsy telestep things. It's bad enough having the darned 300 pound rated gorilla ladder bending under my weight. I can't even imagine what it would be like on one of those things.

My knees too are shot. I'm wearing those things that weight lifters wear on both knees now when I'm on the job. They provide a lot of support and make walking much easier but jeez, are those uncomfortable in this heat!

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I don't see any posts under that balcony so I doubt it is very deep, and I suspect that with the extended roof section there you might actually be beyond vertical. I'd do the porch roof. I feel quite safe when I can get the legs of the ladder straddling the ridge, and it looks like you would then be stepping on and off the low slope section of the main roof. It would be nice if that tall window opens so you don't have to haul the ladder up there.

Of course, I don't have a bum foot. What happened there Brandon?

Of course, I don't have a bum foot. What happened there Brandon?

My foot tried to take out the butt end of a log while riding. My leg (mostly ankle) lost the battle, turned a 180 to check out what had hit it, and the rest of me and the bike continued onward.

My buddies keep joking that they are going to buy my soon to be son one of the clear bubbles, since he will most likely end up like me.

ee cummings is the poet who made me hate those 'All-Lower-Casers'.

i agree. one of the most overrated poets of the twentieth century. i never trusted his work. the poetry enclaves. slavering over the artistically obtuse statement. very emperor's new clothes-ish.......

funny where these posts drift off to sometimes[:-thumbu]

Piece O' Cake with a 32' ladder and step-through safety bars....

I am unaware of any inspector in this area who carries a 32' ladder. My 24' extension ladder is typically all that I need. I'm not sure that I want to carry a 32' ladder with me; at times it would make my job safer. Then again, it would make me do more foolish things that much further from the ground.

Bring a real ladder. Or disclaim that you were not prepared for something you should have been prepared for.

I consider a 32' ladder a 2 man ladder-- some may not. Anyone in OR bring a ladder this large to an inspection?

I have one and I'll bring it if I know in advance that I'll need it. Sometimes, if I use it on a job, I'll leave it on the rack for a few days just because I'm too lazy to take it off. It's really not a big chore to use.

In the bad old days, I used to use a 40 footer. That was freakin' bear.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Sometimes, if I use it on a job, I'll leave it on the rack for a few days just because I'm too lazy to take it off. It's really not a big chore to use.

Alright, it sounds like it's time for me to pick up a larger ladder and see how it feels. Tell ya the truth, I can't remember the last time I even picked one of those things up. I remember them being fairly heavy.....

Bring a real ladder. Or disclaim that you were not prepared for something you should have been prepared for.

I can just imagine what myself or Richard would look like tooling down the street with 32' ladders on top of our rigs.

2006215175650_Baha2.jpg

2005102693010_signed003s2.jpg"]

So, what do you do when the roof is too high to reach with your 32' ladder? Do you say, "Sorry, I wasn't prepared. I didn't realize that it was 40' to the eaves of this house?"

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

So, what do you do when the roof is too high to reach with your 32' ladder? Do you say, "Sorry, I wasn't prepared. I didn't realize that it was 40' to the eaves of this house?"

Mike

I say......

"You see, I carry a 32' ladder everywhere because that's the largest ladder I can handle by myself. This roof needs a 40' ladder, which I can't handle by myself. No one else in this business carries an extension ladder, let alone a 40' extension ladder. I tried as hard as anyone could to be prepared.

The only way to know the condition of the roof is for me to get up there. I need to come back with a 40' ladder and a helper. I charge extra for that. Give me the names of the people to call so I can schedule my return visit".

Or something roughly similar to that.

It happens a couple times a year; no one has ever grouched about the extra cost. If they ever do, I'll figure out what to say at that time.