I'll find out if I can make it.

Brandon Whitmore

I can just imagine what myself or Richard would look like tooling down the street with 32' ladders on top of our rigs.

Funny, I was thinking of your 2 rigs this morning when I typed my previous post.....

I may run into a couple roofs a year that I can not find my way onto. I disclaim those and tell them to hire the best roofer they can find to inspect the roof. I may change that practice, but need to think about it, and go play with some larger ladders. It sounds like you gentleman on the E. side of the US have taller places to inspect. My only wish is for a 26' aluminum extension ladder, seeing as how they are building taller ceilings in, and shorter eaves to mee setback requirements. I don't like the extra weight of 28' ladders.

By the way, I'm 6' tall and weigh in at about 195, so I can probably handle a larger ladder. Problem is, I wouldn't use it enough to get the balance figured out, and I can just see myself dropping the dang thing and causing damage.

This roof ended up being an easy one. My 24' ladder reached on the back gable end at the lower sloped section. I couldn't make it from the balcony-- it was nearly vertical. The owner was a painter and told me to use his ladders to go up from the porch roof-- that's what he does.

Bring a real ladder. Or disclaim that you were not prepared for something you should have been prepared for.

I consider a 32' ladder a 2 man ladder-- some may not. Anyone in OR bring a ladder this large to an inspection?

I have one and I'll bring it if I know in advance that I'll need it. Sometimes, if I use it on a job, I'll leave it on the rack for a few days just because I'm too lazy to take it off. It's really not a big chore to use.

In the bad old days, I used to use a 40 footer. That was freakin' bear.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Those are puny! The ladder that wrecked my back 19 years ago was a monster, 60 foot wooden ladder in three sections. It took three guys to stand that puppy up.

Tom

A few years ago, I would have balanced a Telesteps on the front-porch roof and shimmied up. I realize it sounds crazy, but I've done it a gazillion times without incident.

My knees, however, aren't what they once were . . .

"I've done it a gazillion times without incident."

So did I, right up until the day the ladder slipped as I got back on it [:-bigeyes and I took the fast way down. I don't do that anymore.

I'd do what Mike suggest. Not having a second person, and not wanting to rely on anyone's strength or attention span, I'd put a 2x4 accross the inside of the door, as high up as possible and tie the ladder to it nice and tight. I use ratcheting tie down straps.

Of course, I don't have a bum foot. What happened there Brandon?

My foot tried to take out the butt end of a log while riding. My leg (mostly ankle) lost the battle, turned a 180 to check out what had hit it, and the rest of me and the bike continued onward.

My buddies keep joking that they are going to buy my soon to be son one of the clear bubbles, since he will most likely end up like me.

Ouch! [:-bigeyes I mean, seriously, holy freakin ouch!

I thought I had done that to my knee once while riding. Wiped out (long story) and wound up on my stomach with the bike over my lower leg and my foot hooked in the wheel. When I looked back to see how to free myself, I saw the kneecap portion of my knee/shin guards facing up [:-bigeyes I couldn't see it but assumed my foot was doing the same thing... After I got over that feeling like all the blood had just drained from my body, I reached back and saw it was the just the knee guard that spun around from the impact with a small tree stump. I was quite relieved since I was miles into the woods in the mountains and couldn't imagine how they were going to get a medivac chopper in there for me.

You may want to let someone else do that roof walk for you... No one could blame you with an injury like that.

I'd do what Mike suggest. Not having a second person, and not wanting to rely on anyone's strength or attention span, I'd put a 2x4 accross the inside of the door, as high up as possible and tie the ladder to it nice and tight. I use ratcheting tie down straps.

I have a similar rig. The straps are permanently attached to eye bolts which go through a 2X3. I couldn't imagine not having it. It's used several times a month when I can't straddle a ridge.

Click to Enlarge
tn_200985175238_1a1a.jpg

65.44 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_200985175311_2b2b.jpg

47.06 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_200985175342_3c3c.jpg

34.28 KB

Kyle,

I thought that I was the only guy out there good enough to get a foot hooked in a wheel[:-slaphap

It's always a good feeling after a nasty wreck when you are able to get up, check all of your body parts, and realize all that you have are bumps and bruises.

Joe,

I think you posted that set up before. Thanks for re- posting it, this time I may just copy the idea.

• 1 month later...

I used to carry hang gliders on roof racks. They are quite long. The trick is to have 4 independent lines coming up from each corner of your bumper areas. Independent, not up, over, and down to the other side. Worked very well. And of coures, have the ladder tied to the rack for braking, etc. Tied to the bumper corners keeps the wind from messing with it.