another weird old water heater!

Ken Meyer

Found another one today, I tried looking it up, but the serial number sequence didn't seem right. It looked too old. This must be a different manufacturer than American listed on the water heater age charts.

My guess is 1978 from the last 2 digits, the UL label says 1977.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009729174142_P7292497%20copy.jpg

36.08 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009729174221_P7292499%20copy.jpg

101.15 KB

Found another one today, I tried looking it up, but the serial number sequence didn't seem right. It looked too old. This must be a different manufacturer than American listed on the water heater age charts.

Just for the record, I think you can still buy those things new.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Just for the record, I think you can still buy those things new.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Are they made that way so they save space? Can you stack things on them, like a dryer for instance?

When I got to the house, the buyer was already there, the place was not locked, and e had tried to pry the lid off the thing, not knowing what it was. I'm glad he didn't succeed.

Are they made that way so they save space? Can you stack things on them, like a dryer for instance?

Yes, the whole idea is that you can put the water heater out where people will see it and you can use it as a countertop surface. In a really small house, the extra space is welcome. I usually see them in the kitchen.

I don't know about stacking stuff on them. I probably wouldn't recommend it.

When I got to the house, the buyer was already there, the place was not locked, and e had tried to pry the lid off the thing, not knowing what it was. I'm glad he didn't succeed.

If you can get the lid off, I think you'd just see a round tank with a bunch of insulation stuffed around it.

- Jim Katen, Oregon