pex or PB?

John Dirks Jr

I'll take it you could not read any print on it. PEX or really really cold copper!

My first thought was PB but the PB I've seen before is a lighter shade of blue and larger in diameter than this 3/4" one.

Some of the legible markings were 220psi, CTS-001, NSF PW , ATSM

No mention of PB2110 or ASTM #?

I'll take it you could not read any print on it. PEX or really really cold copper!

My first thought was PB but the PB I've seen before is a lighter shade of blue and larger in diameter than this 3/4" one.

Some of the legible markings were 220psi, CTS-001, NSF PW , ATSM

No mention of PB2110 or ASTM #?

I looked at other photos I had taken. With some editing and enlarging I was able to make out a faint PB2110 and an ASTM 02666... I think.

So, PB2110 does indentify it as polybutylene. Is the 2110 less problematic than the "Big Blue"?

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009821746_-2110-.jpg

25.58 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20098217433_-astm-.jpg

38 KB

For the record, the main problem with the PB delivery piping was the early generation plastic fittings, not so much the piping itself. The fittings were made of a harder plastic material (If I remember correctly -- Delrin?) to withstand the clamping force that soft PB wouldn't. Unfortunately, they were eaten up fairly quickly by the high free chlorine levels present in SOME municipal water supplies. Later installations used copper and brass crimp fittings; they were fine.

PB also had some advantages over copper. No green junk in your water lines to flavor your ice and clog your aerators, and the ability to freeze, swell, and then return to normal size without bursting.