old home inspections

Hello all,

I posted this here because it pertains to old homes in a way, and there isn't an offical place to ask for favors.

I've been actively attempting to get my foot in the door at the historical society for the county where I live. I've finally sold myself to the point where they've asked me for peer references.

The only people I know are here. I realize that I don't really know anyone here, but I could probably list everyone's strong points and write a short list of their abilities.

I'd operate as a question and answer guy at the landmark society events, and in exchange I'd be listed on their list of preferred vendors. Historic homes are the intended focus of my business and this would be a good stepping stone toward that goal.

So, here it is, the question.

If, and only if you have faith in my technical skills, would you please write a short letter to that effect. Include your own credentials please to validate your opinion. I figure one or two of you have communicated enough with me to know what I can and can't do. I'm asking here instead of in person because I didn't want to put any of you on the spot.

I appreciate the help, Chad

I took the email address off this post. It seems that I'm not too popular at NACHI and I was a little concerned that folks over there might want to help me too. I got a head's up from one of the friendly folks there.

If you're inclined..ask me and I'll provide it for you via email

Are the meetings held at night? Will it be a work release type situation?

Just pokin' fun at you. Working with old houses and buildings is the only way to go if you like them. I have been doing it for years and have learned the "old house" buyer is the type of customer I relate to quite well. Couple years ago I wandered around Rochester with my wife just looking at houses for a couple of days. Had I known you then I would have looked you up. Wish I knew you better.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

I just got off the phone with the director for all of western NY and we've set up a meeting for next week. I'm hoping to be listed as a preferred vendor on their website and in their literature, both for the possible business it'll generate and to add to my resume'.

The fact that I'll be exposed to some of the grand old homes in my area is just icing on the cake.

I'd like to eventually do some demonstrations for them like restoring old sash, or copper/terne roofing, wood flooring..that kind of stuff.

The people @ the Landmark Society were very impressed with the letters they received on my behalf and the caliber of the people of the people that wrote them. I thank you sincerely for taking the time to help.

Chad

Update:

I just returned from the interview and I'll be listed in two categories as a preferred vendor...as an inspector and as an advisor. Apparently there's more people who don't even know where to start than there are needing home inspections. I'm pretty darned excited about all this and I'll let you all know if it's profitable. Thanks again,

Chad,

I think that's great! I have been doing restoration consulting on selected weekends for many, many years. It certainly doesn't bring the income of home inspections but it is enjoyable. My involvement with several historic sites, districts and societies has also generated many, many referrals.

You obviously have a deep appreciation of historic architecture/workmanship and probably know this stuff, but I'd like to post the following for others following this thread.

Some Preservation Standards:

- Study the historic architectural styles in your regoin.

- Encourage preservation of original components.

- Identify changes that have taken place over time.

- Identify and encourage preservation of distinctive features or examples of skilled craftsmanship.

- Recommend repair rather than replacement of worn or damaged historic architectural features when possible.

- When replacement is necessary, prescribe new materials that match the old in design, composition, and color.

- If alterations or additions are anticipated, encourage compatible designs that do not destroy significant historic architectural features.

In the Phoenix area 1945 is Historic. Perhaps these photos can explain why.

These are from todays inspection

This was the only bathroom in the house. The metal panels were not all secured.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Bathroomsink.jpg

32.84 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Shower.jpg

31.84 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif TubPic.jpg

47.3 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif KitchenCeiling.jpg

44.93 KB

Originally posted by swarga

In the Phoenix area 1945 is Historic. Perhaps these photos can explain why.

These are from todays inspection

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif 700922041200 036 (Small).jpg

31.86 KB

This was the only bathroom in the house. The metal panels were not all secured.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif 700922041200 035 (Small).jpg

47.33 KB

Hey Scott:

Your pics didn't load. You can't use special charters in the file name like ()*&^%$#@!

If you get rid of the parentheses in your file name it will work.