First time seeing this set up

If the dryer duct does not vent to the exterior, it's wrong unless they are planning on using one of those high tech. condensing dryers. Right now, they are venting warm moist air right into the home. Also, that is a fire hazard as lint could catch and spread the fire.

The mylar/ foil vent connector is most likely wrong as well, depending on it's listing.

I was thinking the same thing, however, that opening that you see is actually normally sealed by the plexi-glass. I had to break the seal in order to get it off the wall. The "box" does vent to the exterior through the attic. The lint was getting trapped by the filter(by the amount on there, it has never been cleaned top pic). I am almost sure they just forgot to hook up behind that drywall and this was their idea of a fix.

I don't understand. Where's the duct in the second photo? Or do you open the plexiglass door and and connect the Mylar to the pulled-out-of-the-wall box like in the first photo?

And why is there a filter in the box to supplement the internal dryer filter?

There is no duct. Well the duct is connected in the attic, however, I believe that they forgot to run the duct from the wall to the outgoing duct in the attic. It's almost like this was their cure for the error and to keep the lint from going everywhere. The plexiglass was sealed until I opened it. There is a screen/filter attached to the plexiglass with notches in the box for it to slide into.

• 6 months later...