Martin Floor Furnace

mridgeelk

This furnace is the first one of this type I have seen. It is likely 44 years old and has had furnace cement applied to it in several locations. I recommended that it be removed or replaced due to age. I could not find any specific warnings or recalls regarding this model, does anybody know of any? Thanks.

Click to Enlarge
tn_200982013554_a.jpg

33.57 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009820135731_b.jpg

54.28 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009820135837_c.jpg

38.48 KB

Really? I've never seen one that clean. There is usually a collection of plastic army guys, action figures, or Barbie dolls that have all met a fiery demise stuck to the bottom or the heat exchanger. As a kid, my brothers and I would run for the thing every time it fired up, the blast of hot air was fun to run through until the grate got hot enough to burn our little bare feet.

Tom

Cool. So, that can just sits there in the floor and heat convects upward, right?

How's it vent?

Some of them didn't! [:-bigeyes

Ed, it looks like where all that refractory cement is applied was probably to seal all the cracks/rot/separations in the heat exchanger, it's right where the welds would typically give way.

Those things remind me of Grandma's house in the country in PA. And hers had Army guys too.[:-slaphap

I saw something very similar to that gas fired floor furnace (from the OP) a few weeks ago.. was also probably 40+ years old. I turned it on and all the smoke detectors went off, I think, because of dust falling into the unit. I didn't see a tag showing any manufacturer though. Recommended clean/service and full inspection by HVAC. No ductwork in the home, so replacing it with a modern unit may be tough.

I saw something very similar to that gas fired floor furnace (from the OP) a few weeks ago.. was also probably 40+ years old. I turned it on and all the smoke detectors went off, I think, because of dust falling into the unit. I didn't see a tag showing any manufacturer though. Recommended clean/service and full inspection by HVAC. No ductwork in the home, so replacing it with a modern unit may be tough.

Williams still makes floor furnaces that are a direct replacement for most of the older models.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Furnaces like this are not uncommon in post-war cottage set-ups on the shore or the mountain areas or lakes in New England.. Amen on the plastic army soldiers, too! They are less-common in this era as far as 'new' installs.. Kind of go hand-in-hand with messed-up block foundations, weird pier foundations on sides of hills (lakes), flood-zone areas of the coast, etc... .

Furnaces like this are not uncommon in post-war cottage set-ups on the shore or the mountain areas or lakes in New England.. Amen on the plastic army soldiers, too! They are less-common in this era as far as 'new' installs.. Kind of go hand-in-hand with messed-up block foundations, weird pier foundations on sides of hills (lakes), flood-zone areas of the coast, etc... .

I think that floor furnaces are a relic of a time when we, as a nation, were much more thrifty than we are now. In the post-war era, young couples were thrilled with a 900 sf, 2 br cottage that could be realistically (and cheaply) heated with a floor furnace. Now, young couples mortgage their entire future to buy absurdly oversized boxes with granite countertops, stainless steel dishwashers & HVAC systems that are usually twice as big as they need to be.

Damn! I'm starting to sound like my father.

- Jim Katen, Oregon