Just shocking

Phillip

I was wrong. It is 6'5" not 6'8". I thought it was the same height as doorways.

E3305.2 Working clearances for energized equipment and panelboards. Except as otherwise specficied in Chapters 33 thorugh 42, the dimension of the working space in the direction to panelboards and live parts likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing or maintenance while energized shall be not less than 36 inches (914 mm) in depth. Distances shall be measured from the energized parts where such parts are exposed or from the enclosure front or opening where such parts are enclosed. In addition to the 36-inch dimension (914 mm), the work space shall not be less than 30 inches (762 mm) wide in front of the electrical equipment and not less than the width of such equipment. The work space shall be clear and shall extend from the floor or platform to a height of 6.5 feet (1981 mm). In all cases, the works space shall allow at least a 90-degree opening of equipment doors or hinged panels. Equipment associated with the electrical installation located above or below the electrical equipment shall be permitted to extend not more than 6 inches (152 mm) beyond the front of the electrial equipment.

E3305.3 Dedicated panelboard space. The space equal to the width and depth of the panelboard and extending from the floor to a height of 6 feet (1829 mm) above the panelboard, or to the structural cieling, whichever is lower, shall be dedicated to the electrical installation. Piping, ducts, leak potection apparatus and other equipment foreign to the electrical installation shall not be installed in such dedicated space. The area above the dedicated space shall be permitted to contain foreign systems, provided that protection is installed to avoid damage to the electrical equipment from condensation, leaks, and breaks in such foreign systems., (see Figure E3305.1).

E3305.7 Headroom. The minimun headroom for working spaces for service equipment and panelboards shall be 6.5 feet (1981 mm).

Bruce, you're quoting minimum height of "working space". It doesn't back up your claim for the maximum height of panelboards.

Jim P is correct, as per what's in the NEC and IRC.

Could you please reply with the specific sections numbers of NEC and IRC? I have both and would be happy to review to learn more about the error of my ways.

I agree what I posted is the min. working space, which is revalent to the picture in the original post.

Yesterday I inspected a mobile home that the seller had just replaced the rear deck. The service disconnect and main panel/meter are in the yard and this bozo built the deck around the panel. I measured 18" width access to the panel between the two sections of the deck. The seller also claims he got a permit. I'd attach a photo but I don't see a way to do that in a reply...

Bruce, you're quoting minimum height of "working space". It doesn't back up your claim for the maximum height of panelboards.

Jim P is correct, as per what's in the NEC and IRC.

Could you please reply with the specific sections numbers of NEC and IRC? I have both and would be happy to review to learn more about the error of my ways.

I agree what I posted is the min. working space, which is revalent to the picture in the original post.

I have the 2006 IRC here on my PC. The NEC is on my laptop in the car.

IRC E3605.7 Location of overcurrent devices in or on premises.

Overcurrent devices shall:

5. Be installed so that the center of the grip of the operating

handle of the switch or circuit breaker, when in its highest

position, is not more than 6 feet 7 inches (2.0 m) above the

floor or working platform.