Could this kill somebody!?

randynavarro

I metered both appliances to a ground pin on a nearby counter receptacle.

It is the 120 volt that passes from hand to hand thru the heart that can do some serious damage, right?

That's certainly what the rumor says but I don't know. It seems like a very simplistic explanation.

BTW, if I walked into the kitchen and saw that sign on the microwave, I think I'd have to touch it. Probably several times, "OW! That really is hot. OWW! Yep, still hot. OOOOWW. Wow, it just stays hot . . . "

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif the_difference.JPG

35.52 KB

I had the exact same situation in my own home. We found it when my mother in law was visiting. She was washing dishes and touched the steel microwave cabinet - got a pretty good zap. She immediately tried to explain to me what happened, but there is a bit of a language barrier - so she showed me. As far as I could tell, the ground was energized (I live in an old house with no shortage of goofy wiring).

Tough old lady got zapped a couple times but still finished the dishes!

-Brad

As the old saying goes....."it's not the volts, it's the amps that kill you".

Not a medical opinion, but that's the saying.

Tazer's (the police dept. thingies) hit you with about 10,000 volts, or something like that.

Either way, kinda spooky.

I've been zapped more than once with the coil from a car (back when I knew how to find the engine and the coil - don't ask me how to now). Pretty sure they put out 20k V.

Never researched it but I would think static electricity is up around 1000 volts or so???

Had the same thing happen to me a few years back. Was going over the report with clients with 1 hand on the SS sink and rested my other on the range - granted, my hair is short but I swear it stood straight up. Seems that the "Sears repairman" had recently (as in the day before) replaced one of the controls and didn't quite get the wiring back where it should have been.