Pride

Brandon Whitmore

Wow-- I found this today on a starter home I was inspecting. The electrical system was the only major system on the home that was done well, so I am pretty sure he was the low bidder.

Amateur workmanship. Tidy, but obviously the work of an inexperienced electrician.

By segregating the white wires, he's setting the panel up for problems with EMFs.

I don't care for the unnecessary close bundling of the wires. They won't dissipate heat well.

By twisting his equipement grounds into cornrows, he's created a nightmare for someone who has to work on this panel in the future.

Pretty, but impractical.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Jim,

What would you write in the report? Any code violations? The only thing I could think of that I could even write up would be the excess sharp bends in the grounded/ ungrounded conductors. I'm just impressed that someone takes some pride in their work, even if it creates a problem with future work in the panel.

By segregating the white wires, he's setting the panel up for problems with EMFs.

Crap, I've got some more studying to do.

By twisting his equipement grounds into cornrows, he's created a nightmare for someone who has to work on this panel in the future.

Agreed.

Jim,

What would you write in the report?

Probably nothing. I'd just say it was ok.

Any code violations? The only thing I could think of that I could even write up would be the excess sharp bends in the grounded/ ungrounded conductors.

That's not a violation. As long as you're under 600 volts, you can make the individual conductor bends as sharp as you want. The sharp bending issue applies to complete cable assemblies; you're not supposed to bend a complete romex cable that sharply.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Here's a small article I found regarding EFS's for anyone interested: http://www.emwatch.com/HouseWiring.htm

That's not a violation. As long as you're under 600 volts, you can make the individual conductor bends as sharp as you want. The sharp bending issue applies to complete cable assemblies; you're not supposed to bend a complete romex cable that sharply.

Ahh-- thanks. It may help me to remember this if I know the reason-- any ideas why?

Here's a small article I found regarding EFS's for anyone interested: http://www.emwatch.com/HouseWiring.htm

Ahh-- thanks. It may help me to remember this if I know the reason-- any ideas why?

I believe that it has to do with thinning of the insulation on the outside of the bend as it's stretched around the wire. At 600 volts and above, there's enough voltage that this becomes a concern. At 120 or 240 volts, it's just not an issue.

- Jim Katen, Oregon