Bundled Cables Entering Panel Enclosure

dtontarski

My Hansen text states: "cables should not be bundled together and run through a large chase nipple or bushing". "Some bushing are rated for two cables, though most are designed for only one."

This text also states: "A common poor practice is to bundle several cables together and enter through one large bushing or clamp into an enclosure."

And

"Cables can not be bundled together without creating a problem with heat entrapment."

My Question: Do forum participants call the installation in my photo out as wrong? All branch circuit cables enter the panel enclosure through 3 bushings. There are 5-6 cables per bundle.

If so - any examples of how to word this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Dave Tontarski

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif IMG_8054.JPG

389.04 KB

My Hansen text states: "cables should not be bundled together and run through a large chase nipple or bushing". "Some bushing are rated for two cables, though most are designed for only one."

This text also states: "A common poor practice is to bundle several cables together and enter through one large bushing or clamp into an enclosure."

And

"Cables can not be bundled together without creating a problem with heat entrapment."

My Question: Do forum participants call the installation in my photo out as wrong? All branch circuit cables enter the panel enclosure through 3 bushings. There are 5-6 cables per bundle.

If so - any examples of how to word this would be appreciated.

How about:

Above the electrical service panel, the cables are not properly secured or properly clamped where they enter the panel. There are too many cables under each staple and there are too many cables running through each clamp. Hire an electrician to properly secure and clamp the cables above the electrical panel.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Thanks Jim!

That's about what I told the electrician who showed up at the home to look at the panel on the listing agent's advice within hours of my inspection. I hadn't even downloaded my photos or started my report and I'm getting a call about the issues I pointed out at the inspection.

Of course the electrician wanted to argue (debate) everything I called out, but the engineer who owned the home thought I was making perfectly good sense and he told the electrician to do as I advised.

I'm told they call that cooperation....what a cool thing....I never ran into that before.

Thanks again...and thanks on the CTL panel advice as well.

Any fishermen out there? Check out the small mouth bass my son is holding up in this photo from a St. Lawrence River excursion.

Click to Enlarge
tn_200991174424_Catch%20Of%20The%20Day.jpg

72.05 KB

Dave Tontarski